Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired a '09 Cobalt Ecotech, Auto, 47,000mi. from my aunt that cannot drive anymore due to illness. The car has been meticulously maintained since new. It has a strange vibration from the driveline?? It sounds just like a wheel bearing. There is no telling how long this noise has been going on due to the fact that my aunt is 70% deaf on a good day. Here's what I've done so far..... Jacked up the left side, Started and ran the car in gear. There was no noise whatsoever. Then I jacked up the right side, Started and ran the car and the noise was present. I changed the right wheel bearing and it still has the noise. Now for the mysterious part. Upon further examination I noticed the noise is NOT present when the car is put in 1st gear or reverse?? however when shifted into 2 or above the noise instantly kicks in??? Does this sound like a bad transaxle?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might be a bearing inside the transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, That's what I was thinking. Just wondering if this a familiar problem or something anyone on the forum has dealt with before I dive in? Will soon go to trans shop to make sure....

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I believe there's one more guy on here that's had a similar problem and his was an exit bearing where the axles snap in. But I believe he had noise in all gears.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Ya, if it was an axle, the noise would be present in all gears (except neutral) since the axles are spinning.

What kind of noise is it? Can you describe it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a low, drone, mild vibration sound that intensifies with the speed of the car. Just like a bad hub bearing if you ever had one.

·
Registered
142 Posts
it's a low, drone, mild vibration sound that intensifies with the speed of the car. Just like a bad hub bearing if you ever had one.
Did you ever fix it.
I have the same problem and it souds like a bearing in the tranny (auto, 2.2l, 2006). The noise starts at around 50 km/h and gets a little louder as speed increases. Makes no difference if I turn to the left or right or if the tranny is in neutral.Noise is coming from the front and seems to be comming from the passenger side tranny output shaft.
Right wheel bearing was replaced last year because of a faulty ABS sensor and I put a large screwdriver on both of the front wheel bearings to listem to them while turning the wheels and they seem good. All boots on the axels are in good shape.....passenger side tranny output seal is a little wet but not dripping.

Anything I should check before taking it to a tranny shop

thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.