Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an exhaust leak from my header due to the inner threads of the engine block hole being stripped and the header nut cant tighten. A mechanic suggested trying jb welding the bolt in the hole. Any other suggestions?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
All of those bolts come out. If you want to REALLY fix it your best option is to take the manifold off, soak soak soak the bolt with panther piss and take it out. If the inner thread are messed up you will need to retap. But if you are looking to just make it seal you could use JB Weld, just hope you never have to take it back off again.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Real fix would be to helicoil. Take the studs out, drill and bottom tap the holes, screw in your helicoils, let treadlock cure for a few hours then you have a real fix.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Are helicoils rated for that kind of temp though?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Are helicoils rated for that kind of temp though?
They're stainless steel, melting point is like 1730°F higher than aluminum and about 550°F higher than a cast iron manifold. I think it will take the heat okay.

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

JBweld is a short term solution for a lazy mechanic.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Kudos for asking about that! I learn by F'ing things up so I would have just busted out a drill bit and went to work, leaving that bolt missing! lol
I know, it's awful!

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I dont follow. It sounds to me that the guy just wants to muscle the thing down and then put JB well on to make it a perm. fixture. Correct or no?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.