Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else stripped the head on the front upper seatbelt bolt? Of course all the other pieces are already out. Thinking of just cutting it to a bolt head and pounding a socket on. Any suggestions other than that to cause the least damage? And if I do jack something up, are the sedan front seatbelts able to fit a coupe? I havent found any coupes in the junkyards within about an hr from me.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
i always just weld a good nut onto the head and back it out, then i get a good seatbelt bolt. However they do make sockets for stripped bolts/nuts that you can buy. My seat is snap-on but you could easily find the same thing at a local parts/tool supplier. just pound it on and turn it off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of those, but that bolt it tight as hell!! I used a 2 1/2 ft pipe on the socket wrench to get the other side off. This side it just sheered it. I'll try one of those, and get a new bolts from a hardware store. No more torx bit shit.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Mine stripped also
used a blow dryer and a good set of vise grips and just keep working at it

Seatbelt bolt by KeiserX13, on Flickr

as you can see the outside is extremely rounded

broke 2 bolt extractors trying to get it out

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

I thought of those, but that bolt it tight as hell!! I used a 2 1/2 ft pipe on the socket wrench to get the other side off. This side it just sheered it. I'll try one of those, and get a new bolts from a hardware store. No more torx bit shit.
went threw my local dealership and had them order me 2 new bolts, were only $7ish apiece

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already bought 8.8 grade replacements for them both. I am going to cut some of the head off into a hex and pound a socket on it. How long did it take with the hair dryer? I'll try that first, and if I get frustrated I'll go to my original plan b. I think I have one of those torches you screw onto the small propane tank. Maybe I'll try that too. If all else fails, I'm welding a nut to it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
use the torch

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just about to get on that. I'm hoping I dont need another propane bottle though. Lol. A hairdryer didnt seem hot enough. Does the panel, or the bracket cover melt even if you are careful?

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Nvm. I got it out. Thanks for the ideas though guys. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah. At least something stays tight on these things for a long period of time. "Lets scrimp on the intermediate shaft, power steering motor, and every bushing on the car,, but you HAVE to make the front seatbelt bolts tight as hell. We dont need people dying when it falls apart." Lmao

And the plastic cover that goes over the bolt was a a casualty. I dont think I can patch it back together. It melted quite a bit, and I'm gonna need to rig a new bushing for the bracket too until I can get to a junkyard.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did you know that if your seatbelt or any connectors related to safety are covered lifetime warranty. You can thank the Department of Transportation for that one, since its the law. If you feel like not messing with it, bring it to the closest Chevrolet Stealership and as long as its not caused by your own fault, then its covered. If they tell you something other than yes, then get their dealership number and mention it to the service advisor that you will be contacting D.O.T and GM Headquarters. They should get that taken care at no cost. Also mention a CSI card. :) (CSI is the customers satisfaction index survey card and does impact the dealerships customer service and as well gets reported to GM HQ). My 2 cents :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.