Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i found out when i was changing my oil that something was leaking and it turns out to be by driver's side front strut. I was wondering what my best options are to replacing. I know that i have to replace in pairs but was probably just going to replace all four anyways. I was thinking of possibly buying Raceland coilovers for the car to replace everything because they are affordable but don't want something unreliable either. Otherwise i can replace the struts but I don't know if i have to replace anything along with that such as shocks or springs. If anyone has an idea or can give me advice I would really appreciate that along with approx prices to estimate. Furthermore, i would not be replacing the suspension myself.

TLDR: need strut replacements whats the best option
09 LAP LT w 48 000 km

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
Well, I guess it does depend on what your plans with the car are - if you were looking at coilovers, I'm expecting you're looking for a bit of a drop as well as added handling ability?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am looking for that too but I was more wondering if I should be worried about replacing the springs and shocks too later down the road if I just go with the struts replacements. Because full rebuild suspension is looking at over 1000 dollars for FE5 which is not happening and if i have to replace something i want it to be worth.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
You should be able to get '08+ FE5 struts, shocks (AC Delco for those two) and springs of your choice (FE5s are a great budget option if you're needing to lower the car) for a good bit cheaper than that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Full AcDelco FE5 suspension was around $400 from summit racing. I might be a bit off though, I just remember that number from looking into replacing my worn FE5. So I may of not included springs. But even with I cant see it reaching 1k. At worst you could cut your springs to match the FE5 ride height with new FE5 struts. But Im not sure if you would get the same travel. Im sure somebody has done something similar in the forums for a reference. The worst thing you could do is cut them to short and bottom out your struts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I replaced the struts on my Cobalt a few times. The KYB gas strut assemblies had a really nice ride, i replaced the shocks at the same time too.

Rockauto always seems to have rebates on kyb's too. If you go that route.

I plan on replacing the struts on my wife's Hyundai soon. It's a 2015, with 60k. So this time I'm staying OEM and just replacing the strut, and keeping the rest of the assembly. First time doing it this way instead of the whole assembly so we'll see if it feels as good as new.

I found a good deal on oem struts on Ebay. Take a look on there too, just make sure you know the part number and search for it that way. And also, obviously the seller is reputable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts