Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my struts as one is leaking. I'm not ready to spend money on springs for lowering, but only want to replace with a good quality part.

First a dumb question, if i buy a strut for example from summit that is not the entire strut assembly, will it (or most struts) just bolt into the existing assy? I saw the Koni thread where the assembly had to be modified, so i'm wondering if i'd have to do that.

Also, what strut would anyone recommend? i don't mind a stiffer ride than stock, i'm just looking for a quality part that is not too expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I need to replace my struts as one is leaking. I'm not ready to spend money on springs for lowering, but only want to replace with a good quality part.

First a dumb question, if i buy a strut for example from summit that is not the entire strut assembly, will it (or most struts) just bolt into the existing assy? I saw the Koni thread where the assembly had to be modified, so i'm wondering if i'd have to do that.

Also, what strut would anyone recommend? i don't mind a stiffer ride than stock, i'm just looking for a quality part that is not too expensive.

Thanks

With struts you have to atleast replace the pair. Most shops will tell you that if you are going to replace one then you need to replace the other. If thats the case and you want a stiffer ride I would look around for the struts off the FE5 or the SS/TC then down the road you can get a set of Pedder springs which will lower the car and give the ride you want. Now the pedder springs are about $250 and the struts you will have to look around for. I would look on the site classifieds or look on CSS.nub or GMSportcompact.net classifieds to see if anyone is selling their TC struts. Then you can replace all 4 at the same time. Just remeber the rear is just a shock and spring with not strut tower.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks
Are you referring to Summit Racing? Koni are nice but expensive. I'd say if you want a good inexpensive Strut go with KYB or Monroe. Monroe might have a quick strut that have both the spring and strut combined.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Buy OEM Fe5 struts. They're about 90 bucks a piece on crate engine depot. Definitely worth it. I threw in a whole new suspension package all at the same time and the ride quality is better beyond epic proportion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Buy OEM Fe5 struts. They're about 90 bucks a piece on crate engine depot. Definitely worth it. I threw in a whole new suspension package all at the same time and the ride quality is better beyond epic proportion.
so the Fe5's are a slight upgrade from the stock struts? Yes i will be replacing both fronts.

The Fe5's look like it is a strut assembly that i can easily bolt on, but my question is if i get say the KYB GR-2 strut, will that bolt into my assembly if i remove the (old) strut from it?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
The FE5 shocks/struts are a huge improvement iver the stock FE1 struts. Get that package off of crateenginedepot.com.

·
Registered
229 Posts
don't go with kyb i'd made that mistake an with 26,000mi. on them there already making a thunking noise an looking to replace them w/fe5. also i'm sitting on eibach prokit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey,on crateneginedepot, i see the FE5 springs are fairly inexpensive, how much of a difference would they make over the stock springs and would they drop the car at all?
Would it matter if i only did the front at this time? other than dropping the front and not the back might not look the best...

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Hey,on crateneginedepot, i see the FE5 springs are fairly inexpensive, how much of a difference would they make over the stock springs and would they drop the car at all?
Would it matter if i only did the front at this time? other than dropping the front and not the back might not look the best...
they will lower the car like a half inch if remember correct. but will be a big performance upgrade
i dont think you would hurt anything doing just the front. but prolly drive like ass. if i was going to do one first it would be the rear. personally id just save and do them at once.

·
Registered
188 Posts
if i was going to do one first it would be the rear.
That's what he said.

Back on topic though, I'd change the shocks and struts, but save your money for some performance springs. I'm looking at getting some Eibach springs for my car. The ones for the cobalt are either performance or lowering, depending on what you're looking for. If you search on youtube, you can find a video of the difference between the stock suspension, the full eibach system, and just the springs as a comparison. Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Are you referring to Summit Racing? Koni are nice but expensive. I'd say if you want a good inexpensive Strut go with KYB or Monroe. Monroe might have a quick strut that have both the spring and strut combined.
Agreed on the Quick Strut. Whether you do it yourself or pay a shop, there's no wasted time or effort on compressing springs and rebuilding assemblies. As someone said earlier, replace in pairs.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
because they're not a complete strut assembly and you have to do a bunch of other crap just for it to work. keeping it simple with everything already together makes life a lot easier.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
My opinion is to upgrade to the FE5 suspension. it is a huge improvement. Depending on the tools, your ability and money situation will make the difference in whether you should change your springs now or later.

The full upgrade of all FE5 components with the TC or Sc front antisway and a rear sway bar combined with allmost any spring be it progressive or linear will make your car into a Baltcart. You will be able to outhandle or keep up with damn near anything in the turns.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Why do you say not KYB? I just bought KYB shocks because the stock ones took a $hit. Did i make a bad choice?
That depends. Are you lowered? If so, then you made a bad choice. If not, then no problem! KYB shocks/struts are not upgrades at all. They are a direct replacement of the FE1 suspension that comes on all of the base model and LT and LS trim level balts. If you have an SS you either have FE3 or FE5 suspension so putting in kyb's will be a downgrade.

If you are lowered then that's the reason your old shocks bit the dust. The FE1 shocks just aren't made to handle lowering springs. Thusly if you bought kyb's, they won't last very long before going crappy on you.

And again, if you aren't dropped and you just needed a new shock, no problem!
That's what they were made for :)

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

Hey droppedatbirth, what's your opinion of my current suspension setup?
-koni yellow shocks/struts
-SSi springs
-FE5 control arms
-Bwoody swaybar endlinks
-eibach rear sway bar
-Bwoody rear 'strut bar'
-cobalt addiction strut bar
-ingalls torque dampner
-ingalls camber kit

That's about it for now. I didn't go with any upgrade on the front sway bar cuz I'd rather have oversteer than under steer. I figure the shorter and thicker endlinks help tighten the front up a bit while keeping the stock bar.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.