Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently when I brought my 2008 LS to the dealership yesterday for a few tweaks they called me back and according to their inspection found that both front struts had been leaking fluid, for most likely a few months. Everything is stock on the car. I'm at 37,000 miles and it struck me as odd. From what they said GM catagorizes everything from a 1-4 rating with 4 being the worst. Both of mine were at 4 with the left front being worse that the right. Anyone else heard of this happening?

·
Registered
931 Posts
this happends ALL THE TIME ... to the factory struts... bring it back they'll replace them...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's getting done right now. They said it's about a 1000 dollar job but with my extended 5yr/80,000 mile warranty they are only charging the deductible of $100 so it's not all that bad.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
probably a tad over 200 for the struts themselves, but they charge labor as well, for the removal and reinstallation. I doubt they buy new springs, so all of that has to be transferred over. At the average rate of ~$90 and hour, that sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
It doesn't take more than an hour to change both front struts. Lol

that's why they're called the stealership. Crooks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Apparently when I brought my 2008 LS to the dealership yesterday for a few tweaks they called me back and according to their inspection found that both front struts had been leaking fluid, for most likely a few months. Everything is stock on the car. I'm at 37,000 miles and it struck me as odd. From what they said GM catagorizes everything from a 1-4 rating with 4 being the worst. Both of mine were at 4 with the left front being worse that the right. Anyone else heard of this happening?
Your struts are shot. Struts are real easy to change, you could do it your self if you have a jack, jack stands and a few hand tools. Its only like 6 bolts per strut, 3 on top 2 on the bottom and the 1 sway bar link. you could save that 90 bucks and have them both done in a hour (with beer drinking time included)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well while I was at the dealership I had them replace the blinker module because it wouldn't cancel signals, replaced the locking cylinder cause the key wouldn't turn over at times, then with all the labor with that and the struts came to $1015.96. The strut job itself with labor was $560. But thank God for the warranty with a deductible.

Any how I think the thread done. Just curious if anyone else ran into this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.