Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I'm looking to buy some struts since both my front ones are leaking. I work at a dealership so I can do them myself, I just want to know what's the best to purchase.

06 cobalt ss n/a 2.4l

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
They are valved better and last longer with lowering springs, if you're entirely stock just stick with FE3 if you are lowered definitely worth getting 08-10 FE5 (valved better than the 05-07 FE5).

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Not all true Koni's are better yet.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
i don't think the fe5's really cost all that much more than the fe3's anyways... i wanna say they were the same price as the fe1 when i bought my fe5 back in june...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
No sell way more FE1 and no one knows about FE5 for the most part so $20 more adds up.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Rule 1 of economics: Supply and Demand. FE1s have high supply, moderate demand. I don't think that should justify the high price. FE5, lower supply, greater demand (by people like up) so it's... cheaper? Makes no sense to me, but I ain't complaining about it. Works out well for Cobalt owners that, you know, actually enjoy driving.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm saying if they sell 50x the amount of FE1 (dealer and shop replacement) then they raise the prices and make a lot more whereas only a few are looking for FE5 since not too many, in the big scheme of things, are modding their cobalt suspension or replacing the low volume SS suspension.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Not all true Koni's are better yet.
I know a couple ppl that would argue this because koni yellows weren't tested on the nurburgring like the fe5 struts. thats what they all say haha.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'll trust the person that designed the time attack cobalt for gm more than that person that argues against me. Then I'll call that person, be a bother to him but win an argument.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I dunno, General Motors and the Nürburgring both carry much more weight than a guy with a shop in Port Perry. Not to discredit Powell, but the SS/TC did achieve the fastest lap time in it's class and held it for some time before a purpose built limited production (and much more expensive) French FWD car dethroned it, and it did it on the FE5's GM designed to do the job. That's a tough act for any 3rd party manufacturer (Koni) to follow.

·
Say What again!
6,036 Posts
Funny that Powell's site lists the FE5 as:

TC shocks are the best upgrade for GM Delta platform cars pre LNF engines and installation is direct for all Cobalts
Interesting...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.