Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2005 Chevy Cobalt. I bought in 2005. Many issues started and no one seems to know what it is. The driver seat warmer doesn't work passenger side does. Rear windows won't roll down (power windows). I've had to replace turn signals, brake lights and head lamps many times, now the turn signal arm won't return automatically when I'm finished with a turn. To use the left signal the arm is difficult to get into place almost like it's not getting into the slot correctly. There are no bells that chime in the car ex: key left in the ignition, turn signal sound or when low on gas. Now this morning noticed my rear defogger isn't working. I've taken it many times to the dealership and of course they have no clue and I've also taken to independent mechanics and they also have no clue. A gentleman at Auto Zone said that it sounds like a Body Control Module. The radio and speakers works great. With these going out one at a time it's making scared to drive my car, could someone please help! I am thankful that I've not issues as others.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
seat warmer could be a fuse/relay or the switch itself.

rear windows could be the fuse/relay or switch.

turn signal lever could be a faulty switch or relay

do your front speakers work? because that would be the reason for no chimes and such.

rear defog could be the relay or the fuse, possibly the switch.

the autozone guy could be on a good hunch, the BCM powers all of this stuff and it might be going out also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for responding and yes the speakers works fine. I did check that when one of the mechanics said something about the signals and speakers.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Both seat warmers are on the same fuse, so my guess is that you have a burnt heating element.( independant from BCM )

For your rear windows if they failed at the same time, most likely the child proof switch is on or shorted out. ( not controlled by BCM )

Bulbs burn. ( not controlled by BCM )

You need a new turn signal arm. It happens ( not controlled by BCM )

If rear defogger doesn't work and fuse is good check for a burnt connector unde the rear speaker deck.( controlled by BCM )

Guy at Autozone knows diddly squat, Dealers are lazy and local mechanics don't get paid enough to bother with little things you can fix yourself.

If you fix little problems as they arise you won't find yourself with a whole lot of little problems all at once. None of these make it dangerous to drive your car car so relax and take one problem at a time, do a little investigating fix or get fixed one at a time and in a week or less your car will be like new again and you will love it again. Just take the time, if you have a question, come back here and one of us will help. Relax, deep breaths, deep breaths, one more and one more. Feel better?

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Okay, my mistake 2005 has chimes in instrument panel so this means you either lost GMLan between "BCM" and Istrument Panel or the instrument panel speaker has failed.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
As far as the heated seats go it does make sense that the drivers side would burn up before the passenger side.... if you think about it the drivers side is used alot more often than the passenger side. Every older car Ive ever rode in(mid 2000's and back) the drivers side either barely worked or didn't work at all while the passenger side worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
yep..
the drivers side was out in my durango but the passanger worked.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
seat warmer could be a fuse/relay or the switch itself.

rear windows could be the fuse/relay or switch or window motor itself.

turn signal lever could be a faulty switch or relay Or column ring that is behind the steering wheel, he said the left turn doesn't return on it's own either, and that's a hint of that ring being bad

do your front speakers work? because that would be the reason for no chimes and such. Do you have an aftermarket radio and if so, did you get the proper harness for it?

rear defog could be the relay or the fuse, possibly the switch. Common problem, Coby is on the right trail for this one

the autozone guy could be on a good hunch, the BCM powers all of this stuff and it might be going out also. Don't trust autozone to diagnose your car lol

I've added my $.02 to all of this here. If your BCM was going out, you'd have a lot more than just that going out and not working. You should be looking for a grounding issue, as it sounds to me like your lighting issues are because of a short. If you're replacing bulbs frequently, you have an issue there. If you have any other concerns, please let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.