Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal:

Ive got a 2005 LS Auto and I'm sick of not having 5 speed.
I've been having 5 speed withdraws like crazy lately! lol
Ive got like 2 years of payments left on it.
I would like to lower my balt ive got now, but, I dont wanna waste the money if it would be better to trade in.

Should I:

A) Go ahead and get lowering springs and wait another however long til i pay off the car, then get an SS
B) Save the money for lowering and trade in for a 5 speed Cobalt SS of some sort?

Im not sure exactly how payments would transfer over or whatever.
Help!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
"I made a thread about it. lol

Sounds like im in a similar boat you were in. Its mainly the 5 speed I want.
But that SS TC at the dealership next to my work was BADARSE! 5 speed of course. Its like sitting there staring me down. I look at it every weekend!! GEEZ!"

QUOTE FAIL ^^:laugh:

thats exactly why i test drove the tc! i drove by it almost every day for 5 months :bigsmile:
it was a fun test drive! now they wont leave me alone. lol

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I made a thread about it. lol

Sounds like im in a similar boat you were in. Its mainly the 5 speed I want.
But that SS TC at the dealership next to my work was BADARSE! 5 speed of course. Its like sitting there staring me down. I look at it every weekend!! GEEZ!"

QUOTE FAIL ^^:laugh:

thats exactly why i test drove the tc! i drove by it almost every day for 5 months :bigsmile:
it was a fun test drive! now they wont leave me alone. lol
How much different from the LS is it?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
How much different from the LS is it?
different world :laugh:
i put it through its paces! scared the shit out of the dealer kid :laugh:
would have gone after it if i wasnt so scared of the economy.
just test drive one. and decide for yourself. :)
just dont give them your e-mail:blink1:

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
when I had my LS and test drove the SC, that was all I needed. Night and day difference! I do miss my LS though for some reason. I well say if you do not owe more than what they well give ya, than you could make out decent. I went negative when I traded, meaning I had to carry over some to the SC, which raised payments(not by much thanks to very low apr) and added like 4k to the total cost of the SC. They give me what I paided for the LS when it was new but I went into negative trading in for the LS before so I technically I am still paying some for a car I had before the LS.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
different world :laugh:
i put it through its paces! scared the shit out of the dealer kid :laugh:
would have gone after it if i wasnt so scared of the economy.
just test drive one. and decide for yourself. :)
just dont give them your e-mail:blink1:
Lol Ok, this is the one i was talking about:
Sedan, but damn, best sedan ive seen.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I had my LS and test drove the SC, that was all I needed. Night and day difference! I do miss my LS though for some reason. I well say if you do not owe more than what they well give ya, than you could make out decent. I went negative when I traded, meaning I had to carry over some to the SC, which raised payments(not by much thanks to very low apr) and added like 4k to the total cost of the SC. They give me what I paided for the LS when it was new but I went into negative trading in for the LS before so I technically I am still paying some for a car I had before the LS.
Hmm alright.

So tell me, if you can, whats the difference between SC[supercharged] and TC[turbocharged]?

I'm still not clear on that.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Potential is all how deep your wallet is personally,

BUT, stock, a TC has 260hp and 260 trq. Puts down around 230 to the wheels. Just after a tune by a nice tuner you can be making almost or right at 300hp and between 325-40 trq. Add on a few more things and its even more beastly. If I did care about big numbers(kinda do but don't) I would of waited for the TC but I am very happy with my SC. Plus, I love the whine alot more. Other than that really there is not much of a difference, little better at handling are the TC's I believe, but again, doesn't take much for the LSJ's to handle even better. Its all about the wallet

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Yeah but Idk what they mean and how they affect the car lol
edited original post.

but basically, on top of that..
superchargers start boost from 0 rpm using power created from the engines pulleys. actually pulling potential power from the engine.
turbos create power from exhaust gas, creating boost higher in the rpm range. but take longer to "create" power.
thats a basic summary. and i dont claim to be an expert on forced induction. your better off researching, or asking someone else ALL the pros and cons. than asking me. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Then you have to think about how much time and effort you put into your car. The praises you got from your car. How your car treated you... (gotta play the Devil here.):bigsmile:

·
Registered
802 Posts
i feel for you guy's on the 5 speed part i've alway's spent the extra money and waited a few day to a few weeks' to get the car i wanted with a 5 speed... thing is this is my reasoning before on teh ss when it was supercharged model only.. is that yo could buy a base model cobalt for 14000 brand new and buy a brand new bolt on turbo kit from hahn racecraft for like 4000 so the mean's to me is 18000 to 22000+ hence that my reasoning for buying the cobalt i did... as far as the ss/tc I FEEL MYSELF still thinkin the same way..

·
Registered
3 Posts
i feel for you guy's on the 5 speed part i've alway's spent the extra money and waited a few day to a few weeks' to get the car i wanted with a 5 speed... thing is this is my reasoning before on teh ss when it was supercharged model only.. is that yo could buy a base model cobalt for 14000 brand new and buy a brand new bolt on turbo kit from hahn racecraft for like 4000 so the mean's to me is 18000 to 22000+ hence that my reasoning for buying the cobalt i did... as far as the ss/tc I FEEL MYSELF still thinkin the same way..
i agree with you

·
Registered
610 Posts
trust me i've been wanting to upgrade to a 5spd ss for a looong time. to be honest since the day i bought my lt lol. but going to school and working part time doesnt really give me financial stability. i wanted the 5spd but my dad didnt let me so i had to kind of accept it. on the issue of FI, i plan on supercharging my cobalt in the near future and a $1500-$2000 kit is a lot cheaper than buying a $22000+ car. i mean the difference between the ss and the base models are very few and insignificant (excluding the hp difference of course). eventually i plan on doing a tranny swap too which again will be cheaper than buying a whole other car. yes it will be a lot more trouble but after the work i've put in and plan on putting into my car, i cant really see myself parting with it anytime soon. but thats just my opinion.

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
I went from an LS to an SS/SC... best choice I ever made, I was actually ahead in the deal and didn't end up flipping myself. I thought to go ith the ss/tc but like the whine and everything else that comes with my sc. Talk to your bank and the dealer, see what your options are and go from there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.