Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just bought a pair of (slightly used) 12" Kickers, and a 600W Infinity Amp already boxed from a friend of mine.
With a little work we got it into the trunk, and I surprisingly enough have a good amount of space left.
Pretty new to the mod scene so I have no idea what I'm doing.

My question is how exactly do I install these without going through the head unit, I was thinking about splicing the wires through the back speaker and grounding the amp on the battery?

The box is also a bit wobbly in the trunk (spare cover?), should I put rubber spacers on the bottom or just leave it?

Anyone have any ideas, recommendations, advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, will do.

I had one more quick question, how hard would it be to change out the box the subs are mounted in? And is it worth the cost?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks, will do.

I had one more quick question, how hard would it be to change out the box the subs are mounted in? And is it worth the cost?
Not hard at all. Do you have a box already made for them or plan on making one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are already mounted in a box. The box was just a bit hard to get in and out of the trunk. Kinda wanted one a bit smaller. The Amp is also mounted in the back of the box.

I looked at the sticky, and was wondering if its possible not to have to pull up the seat cushions and such?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And does it void the warranty at all?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have installed mine. Here are some pictures....

I ran my wires under the back seat and through the center consul.
Pulling up the seat cushions is no big deal just give it a nudge to the rear and they will come up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a pretty sweet system.
Thanks for the pics, I'm sure they will help.

I was looking at your diagram, and is the remote on/off necessary?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
...Kinda wanted one a bit smaller. The Amp is also mounted in the back of the box.
Dont go too small or you can damage the subs. Make sure that if you get the smaller box its the right airspace and what not. I had to fold my seats down just to get my box into the back of my car. The opening in the trunk is just ridiculously small.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thats a pretty sweet system.
Thanks for the pics, I'm sure they will help.

I was looking at your diagram, and is the remote on/off necessary?
It is not necessary unless you want it to run 100% of the time even when the car is off. I have mine into a fuse that it cold when the car is off and hot when it is on. I'd suggest you use it though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It really is small. I got it in through the back, it took some work though. I might try moving the seat release pulls (tech term?) farther away from each other. That was my only problem, I just didn't want to pop them loose or anything. How much airspace should the amp have? Sorry, I'm new to this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What size are those? 12's?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Umm. I dont know exactly the space, Do you have AIM so I can chat easier on that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plan on turning them around toward the seats, then when I roll with the seats down the sound flows through the car and not the trunk. They should sound pretty good even with the seats up.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
well the amp doesnt really need any space, just dont cover the vents. its the subs inside the box. basically, the chamber *hole the sub sits in* has to have a certain amount of air space in it. too small and you'll burn the coil out. to big and it'll just sound flabby and empty. you can look up the specs on their website im sure. idk the rules about linking here, so google it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I make sub enclosures pretty cheap (I made mine) and the amp doesn't need air. Its the subs that need the space to hit, If they are vented it doesn't matter too much how much space they have.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Do you have the specs for those subs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will most likely just leave it how it is. The prev. owner hardly used them, and I tested them in her coupe. They sounded pretty good. I'm not worried about it, I just like the information. The more I know the better I can install them on my own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have the specs for those subs?
I have them somewhere. Not sure exaclty what they are. They aren't "melt your ears off" powerful, but they bump pretty well. Powered with a 2 way
600W Infinity amp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.