Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, to start off with, i bought an aftermarket installation kit for my kenwood head unit, which included the mount, antenna cable adapter and wire harness adapter.

First of all, I struggled with the head unit, i was able to get everything hooked up and wired properly except.... there was no wire in the wiring harness for the power :confused: to turn the head unit on when i turn the car on... and im not sure how to wire it up, because my last cars wiring harness had a red power wire... so for now i have it tapped into the wire for the passenger airbag sensor :weird: which powers the head unit only when the car is turned on, and that is working fine for now...

but now i want to wire the subwoofer, and everything is hooked up fine except the control wire, which runs from the header to the amp to tell it that the radio is on and the amp needs to be on. This is where the head unit power comes into play, because in my stratus i had the power wire hooked to the power in the control harness and the control wire, all three hooked up so that when i turn the car on, the head unit and the amp turn on... now when i connect the control wire, the voltage from the amp and the voltage from the 12v source the radio is wired to in the airbag sensor, i keep blowing fuses.

So my question is, How do i wire the head unit properly so that it turns on when i turn the car on and i can run the control wire to the same spot (or differnet spot) so the amp knows when to turn on without blowing fuses?

PS SORRY for the book :sad2:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone?..... I would like to get my jam on ASAP..... lol and the new Boss Chaos speakers i installed are more for mids and highs since i have the sub, without the sub running my music is kind of dry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I heard that wiring into the airbag sensor will deactive the airbag for the passenger. I did that myself to power my headunit as well but you might need to get it reset by GM. What you can do to have the amp turn on or even the headunit turn on when the key is in the ignition is get a mini fuse adapter and tap into the windshield wiper fuse in the fuse box under the hood, or anything that turns on when the car is on. They should be pretty cheap, $10 or so but I did that to my friends car and it works fine that way.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I heard that wiring into the airbag sensor will deactive the airbag for the passenger. I did that myself to power my headunit as well but you might need to get it reset by GM. What you can do to have the amp turn on or even the headunit turn on when the key is in the ignition is get a mini fuse adapter and tap into the windshield wiper fuse in the fuse box under the hood, or anything that turns on when the car is on. They should be pretty cheap, $10 or so but I did that to my friends car and it works fine that way.
Will I be able to run both to the one fuse or do i need two adapters? do you know what other fuses i could run to in order to get power when the car is on?

My biggest concern is blowing more fuses, i feel that the power from the 12v source added with direct 12v in the control wire is whats blowing the fuses. Do you think running the control wire for the amp will blow the fuse i connect it to?

·
Registered
92 Posts
ive got mine wired in the spare fuse box on passenger side i think mines on the radio fuse its been working for a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ive got mine wired in the spare fuse box on passenger side i think mines on the radio fuse its been working for a year now with no problems.
You have the head unit wired to the fuse? What about a direct wire to the amp, running the power from the battery to tell the amp when to turn on? i have been blowing fuses running wires because the additional power is too much

·
Registered
92 Posts
you are talking about your aftermarket radio right it should have a blue wire for amp turn on in the back of the stereo, my stereo turn on wire is on the fuse box for the radio

·
Cornier Than Ethanol
866 Posts
There should be a blue remote wire on the back of the harness, to splice a wire into and run back for the amp. I ran my power wire to my sunroof fuse. Windshield wiper fuse is a good location too.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have one wire left after the speaker wires and constant 12v, its a blue wire with a white stripe, and I hooked the amp remote wire to it, it didn't do anything.... but I picked up fuse adapters so I'm going to run the head unit and amp to the fuse box tomorrow

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WHAT THE FUUUUCK :mad: I'm so mad, and defeated. I ran the head unit and remote wire to fuses with adapters, the remote wire kept blowing fuses!!!! Now I have neither hooked up at all. THe reason for that is my airbag sensor light doesn't work, car says to service airbag, my windshield wipers don't work, and most upsetting of all, my car won't start, not even turn over. The dash security light is on when I turn the car on and when I try to start it.... I need help with making it all run properly without the stereo or amp. I'm just going to pay someone to do the other shit

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ sorry for the language, I don't usually swear, I was upset, this thread is useless now, I got my car working thanks to my other post, and I'm seeking professional help for my audio wiring Monday so close this thread, or delete it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.