Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put 2 audiobahn 10,s that my friend gve me in my car and just got a little lightning audio amp from walmrt to push them with(not a big audio guy just did it because they were free). but when i was driving i felt like i lost a significant amount of power....anybody ever heard of this or was it something that was just in my head?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not sure about it actually hurting your performance, but I wouldn't be suprised if it slowed you down at least a little bit due to there being more weight in your trunk. Point in case, drive your car alone, and then fill it with friends and drive it and you'll notice a huge difference, all due to weight.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds Like Your System Is Putting To Much Strain On Your Electrical System, Good Rule Of Thumb You Need At Least .5 Farad Capacitor For Every 500 Wats Of Power, Try Installing A Capacitor In Your System.

cncd11 added 1 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Also If You Havent Allready Bridge Your Amp And Run Your Subs In Parallel To Drop The Ohms.

·
Registered
673 Posts
It's probably the weight. a typical speaker box, sub, and amp add a fair amount of weight to a vehicle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea we weighed the box w/ subs in it at my friends warehouse and it came out total to 68 lbs...i konw the general rule of thumb is like 100lb=.01 sec so i mean that may bring me down a little bit i was more concerned of the electrical issue...like i said im not an audio guy i just do the mechanical stuff lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well like cnc bridgeing will probablly help if that's the issue. But I really think it's more the weight than anything else. 68lbs is almost nearly an extra body in the trunk...

·
Registered
673 Posts
The 100lb=.01 second also doesn't necessarily hold true on sport compact cars because of the lack of torque and power. That was more for the muscle car era. It still does get the point across though that weight adversely effects performance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea thats a good point..thanks for the input guys although i prolly will get a capacitor just to protect my altenator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.