Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered my ss/tc grill for the balt, it looks lighter than my stock lt grill... =/ ...is there a suggest paint/primer for "non-chip" applications such as the Krylon Outside chair paint or anything? I have krylon primer already so i can use that unless the overcoat conflicts with krylon type paints...i also have rustoleum already...just regular flat or gloss black, can't remeber...so the question is what kind of paint is suggested that wont chip at all, or easily?

·
Registered
339 Posts
rustoleum umm that word even sounds naughty, just kiddingh Gunner ur fabric on the sinde door panels looks VERY Very nice except that one part but u can fix that part with no doubt haha, ask ur grandpa to help bc he does alot an knows a shit load about vehicles. and duffy take it to a dealership n have it done right bc if it chips they cover it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
hahah do not paint it wont it look different bc its kinda of a ugly color it needs to be black haha. but it def does look better then the stock one.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
mike is biggest lier EVER

i painted mine and it came out amazing
i used krylon fusion for plastic.
no clear or anything. flat black

proof

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i have had mine on for a whileee and its good.
no chips nothing
been thru a winter with the salt and all

same with my bowtie. i just sanded and used rustoleum paint. didnt clear or anything.
its perfect

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have had mine on for a whileee and its good.
no chips nothing
been thru a winter with the salt and all

same with my bowtie. i just sanded and used rustoleum paint. didnt clear or anything.
its perfect
lol, its painted now, before and after pics

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
the different angles you took the pics on are very deceiving... but as long as you prep right the shit should stick and not come off, whenever I spray paint I always follow 5 steps

1. Sand (scuff)
2.clean thoroughly I usually use acetone, cleans and removes contaminates, usually it doesnt harm plastic , plus the shit dries FAST
3.prime, usually 2 LIGHT coats
4. prime with X number of LIGHT coats
5.clear coat on ALL OUTDOOR PROJECTS

and yes krylon kicks ass and for some stupid reason homodepot doesnt sell it.. ugh... it says for plastic no priming req blah blah, but the wise man always primes ...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I want to get my stock ls grille painted just to make it look cleaner
It seems that everyday my grille keeps turning into a lighter shade of grubby grey lol
Would this method work with the junk grilles on a ls?

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Lol I used the krylon fusion as my "primer". My real primer peeled even after sanding and cleaning with 99% isopropol and water. So my method went as such:
1) Sand with 600 grit sandpaper
2) Rinse with soapy water
3) Sand some more while the grill is still wet (wetsand)
4) Scrub with a course bristle brush with some more soapy water so you really clean between the grills.
5) Rinse with plain water till you can rub a white cloth on it and have it come away clean.
6) Allow to dry
7) Use lint free cloths and alcohol to scrub down the entire surface (I dunno if alcohol or acetone is better but alcohols what I had) and be VERY generous with the alcohol, it dries quickly and you wanna really soak this thing!
8) Rinse with water and dry with lint free cloths
9) 2 or 3 light coats with krylon fusion allowing about 20 minutes between coats (I also used a hair dryer to help dry between coats)
10) 3 coats of filler primer to help smooth out that textured look on the surface of the plastic.
11) However many coats of whatever paint you want. I'd suggest at least 4-5 coats of paint tho.
12) Let it dry overnight at least! I waited about an hour and a half before I tried putting in my grill and kinda effed up my nice new paint job :(
That's how I did mine, and the only defects are the ones I got trying to install...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.