Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again,

OK, I am sure you are all tired of reading about my Cobalt ;)

I have 4 things I would like to do to the car ASAP, but want your expert opinions and advice before proceeding.

In order:

1) Tint all lights. I don't see any issues here.
2) Drop car. I am ready and eager to do this, but with less than 1,000 miles, should I wait a bit? Any warranty issues?
3) Wheels. I really like the look of the "open" rims with exposed, painted calipers. But, my LT has rear drums. Any photos of an open style wheel with rear drum brakes? What do you suggest in the way of wheels? (The car is a 2009 LT 2-door, Silver Ice Metallic). Should I go larger diameter? (15" is stock)
4) CAI. I will eventually turbo the car, but will wait until close to the end of the warranty. I see GM has a CAI and Cat-Back, but the prices are up there pretty high. There products won't void warranty though. Should I wait?

Thanks in advance for your input...

·
Registered
35 Posts
1) Tint all lights. I don't see any issues here.

cops could possiably give you ticket depending how dark and local laws

2) Drop car. I am ready and eager to do this, but with less than 1,000 miles, should I wait a bit? Any warranty issues?

No need to wait, say you out springs and a strut blows they will NOT cover it, but a dealship must prove something in order for you not to recieve warranty

BTW you will need alginment afterwards

3) Wheels. I really like the look of the "open" rims with exposed, painted calipers. But, my LT has rear drums. Any photos of an open style wheel with rear drum brakes? What do you suggest in the way of wheels? (The car is a 2009 LT 2-door, Silver Ice Metallic). Should I go larger diameter? (15" is stock)

Go with 17" or 18" biggest, with a 40 profile tire, make sure you drop your car first or it will look like a monster truck

4) CAI. I will eventually turbo the car, but will wait until close to the end of the warranty. I see GM has a CAI and Cat-Back, but the prices are up there pretty high. There products won't void warranty though. Should I wait?

Turbo is great, currently there is no tuning for your car. GMPP has a SRI not CAI, i think its overpriced but nice. the catback i would pefer the performance over touring GMPP one. There products will not void warranty long as dealer installs them

·
Banned
384 Posts
are you asking what you should do first? or just asking for approval?

i would say drop it first. thatll set you up for rims in the future.

if youre planning on going turbo or sc, then dont bother with a cai, itll be a waste of money.

as for tinting your lights i think you should hold off and tint your windows first. also, imho, smoked lights look better than all black, especially on the silver. just my .02

·
Registered
575 Posts
If ur gonna go turbo even down the road and ur serious, dont buy a cai or a catback because u wont use the cai and the catback will prolly be to narrow (2.25) u will prolly wanna run 3 inch turbo exaust.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments...

I will hold off on motor mods for a bit. It looks like window tint and lowering are the first order of business.

Thank you...

·
Registered
575 Posts
No problem just don't want u to waste money if ur gonna run FI.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
66 Posts
messing with suspension, intake and rims are all risky for the warranty, if you want to put an intake on the gmpp, lowering and rims obviosly have affect on chassis componants, wheel bearings, ball joints sway bar's links. Its really all up to the dicrestion of the service writers i was talking with my buddy in service at the chevy dealership i got to. he told me he rejected a guys warranty cause he had aftermarket pedal covers and it wasn't allowing the cluth to engage fully causing it to wear excessivly but its all up to them, it never hurts to ask

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
messing with suspension, intake and rims are all risky for the warranty, if you want to put an intake on the gmpp, lowering and rims obviosly have affect on chassis componants, wheel bearings, ball joints sway bar's links. Its really all up to the dicrestion of the service writers i was talking with my buddy in service at the chevy dealership i got to. he told me he rejected a guys warranty cause he had aftermarket pedal covers and it wasn't allowing the cluth to engage fully causing it to wear excessivly but its all up to them, it never hurts to ask
that is the first time i have honestly heard of that, and i run around all the time with pedal covers..........weird

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for all the comments.

Well, I thought about it some more. The car is still new...'09 with less than 1K miles. I live in the heartland and winter is coming. I will "tolerate" the looks of the high stance and keep it as is through the winter. Maybe once I get up closer to 10K miles, then I will look into the drop.

I already did the pedal swap, but am not too worried about clutch warranty. I will wait to add the turbo after 30K, so I think I will go ahead with the GMPP CAI in the next week or so.

Mine might be one of the few "stockers" on here for awhile, but the upgrades will come :)

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
1) GMPP has a SRI not CAI, i think its overpriced but nice. the catback i would pefer the performance over touring GMPP one. There products will not void warranty long as dealer installs them[/B]
Not trying to upstage you ChevyRockstar....The GMPP CAI pulls air in from under the box like the factory intake does -- it pulls in cool outside air, not air from under the hood. It was designed for "eye-appeal" and function and seals to the underside of the hood. The filter just happens to be in the "middle" of the CAI.

All GMPP parts have a 1 year warranty whether you install them, have someone install them, or have the dealer install them. If the dealer installs them after car is purchased then 1 year labor applies too. If the dealer installs them before you buy the car the GMPP parts fall under the vehicle warranty. I didn't make this up...look inside the back cover of the GM accessories book...it spells out the warranty there. I had the GMPP parts installed before I bought my SS/NA for this very reason.

Just wanted to clear this up....LoL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.