Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if a stock sunroof assembly, harness and headliner can be installed in a car that didn't come with one from the factory? Obviously, cutting the roof would be required and for that I'd take it somewhere.

I had my headliner out when I put in my XM antenna and homelink remote. there is a roof support in the dome lamp area but I'm not sure where the support is located in sunroof equipped models

I have seen the sunroof assembly. It looks like there is a support on the frame.

just curious.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
does anyone know if a stock sunroof assembly, harness and headliner can be installed in a car that didn't come with one from the factory? Obviously, cutting the roof would be required and for that I'd take it somewhere.

I had my headliner out when I put in my XM antenna and homelink remote. there is a roof support in the dome lamp area but I'm not sure where the support is located in sunroof equipped models

I have seen the sunroof assembly. It looks like there is a support on the frame.

just curious.
I was always told the frame is very different in the roof between the two and installing one hurts the integrity of your frame. Plus leaks are almost a guarantee for a non factory roof. So I just upgraded cars to get one. lol

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was always told the frame is very different in the roof between the two and installing one hurts the integrity of your frame. Plus leaks are almost a guarantee for a non factory roof. So I just upgraded cars to get one. lol
I want one but not bad enough to take on a car payment again. Plus, I'm a little attached to my car. I've got plans for this one. I want to keep it a while.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im trying to do the same thing. I can't find a roof for it though, I'm gonna just chop the top off of one and put it on mine, thinking about dropping it an inch or so also.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
it's going to get expensive quick.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sounds like a headache!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
TopKing

Many locals have used these guys.

One guy has had a TKSR for ten~ years. No leaks at all.

Little bit of a drive from Indiana though...just depends on how bad you want a sunroof I guess...I'd source out someone local. I'm sure someone closer to you does the same thing, professionally.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
^agreed. I've heard numbers above 1400 though for instal. Just a fore warning

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For that kind of money, I'll just wait until my next car! To the guy above, I have seen complete roofs for sale on car-part dot com for $150. The real money would come into play at the body shop. Not to mention a different headliner, etc...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Isn't the cobalt a unibody?
So if you cut the roof.. You're weakening the frame!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't the cobalt a unibody?
So if you cut the roof.. You're weakening the frame!
Well, I'm guessing if you wanted to replace the entire roof, you could find the roof weld points and separate them, replace the roof with the one with sunroof and re-weld. I'm guessing the weld points are under that trim on the roof and along the top edge of the front and rear window.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lots of work for a sun roof..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my car used and they installed an aftermarket before I got to it... And lets just say they didn't do it properly leaked like the thing was open. I went and got it replaced with a brand new one and it was about 900$ for install, parts, labor.. Not what I wanted to do, but had to since there was a giant hole haha. So far no leak knock on wood.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I just would have vinyl wrapped the roof.

Probably plenty cheaper at $3~ a sq/ft

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
nope, big tube of clear silicone. Locally to me the cheapest you can get it done is $1500 and thats not a power moonroof, something like $2200 if you want the power moonroof and they only guarantee the job for 12 months. After that you're on your own. I know this because a customer wanted one badly but he was telling us not that badly

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If i had a sun roof..
i'd tint it really dark anyways...
lol.. no point.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If i had a sun roof..
i'd tint it really dark anyways...
lol.. no point.
I like them tinted dark too but I'm a smoker and they are ideal for sucking smoke out! Plus, you get fresh air without as much wind noise as having the windows down. I guess it's preference really. I'm not an elitist. To each their own!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.