Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in everyone's opinion,what do you like better?I am sure there are cons and pros for both of them.

R

·
0 Posts
I like superchargers, they seem less complicated and much easier to understand than a turbo, you can get a s/c in an rx8 but it's way more complicated and MUCH more expensive. that's why everyone does turbo. But judging from my friend who had a turbo saturn and my best friends ss/sc cobalt i understand the superchargers alot better.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never been in a car that had a turbo only a 89 Ford Mustang GT that had a vortech supercharger,which was nice,I hear from other people though that a turbo if having a blow off valve and a inter-cooler it is suppose to produce more horsepower

R

·
0 Posts
That i'm not sure. my friend who installed his own turbo must have done it wrong, it wasn't getting correct boost and he blew his engine. He kept having to redo his exhaust because the turbo wasn't working, he had to go from a larger turbo to a smaller one. It really confused me. I'm used to seeing my best friend get like 11 lbs of boost, for example and my other friend was like i'm getting 4 lbs of boost with my turbo. And i'm like ok.. why so low isn't that bad? so i'm like way confused with turbos.

·
Registered
192 Posts
a turbo is generally more efficient, because it uses expended energy and creates power. think about it, a turbo uses exhaust gases that otherwise would be vented to the atmosphere. a supercharger takes power to make power, ie-parasitic loss. now it doesnt take a whole lot to make the power, but still. with a turbo, you can control the amount of boost through a boost controller. with a supercharger, you're stuck with what the supercharger pulley gives you. in my opinion, its more ideal to turbocharge smaller, 4 cylinder engines, and supercharge the bulky v8's. just my .02

R

·
0 Posts
ahh that makes perfect sense. yes he did have aboost controller in his saturn and i never understood it. Thanks for explaining that, it makes perfect sense

·
Registered
575 Posts
On a 4 cyclinder go with turbo. Doesn't take any power away from the engine and it's not limited by the supercharger size. There are thousands of trims, cfms, etc for turbos and superchargers u are limted for our engine because the M62 is a great fit for the 2.0 and the options are also limited. It takes power to make power with a SC but the power is always there throughout the power band.However, with a well fitted turbo, it can spool pretty quick around 2500 rpms and make power pretty quick as well. Turbo lag occurs when the turbo is too large for an engine and it takes longer for the turbo to spool the exaust gases.. I agree with blkbalt. Supercharged V8's are nasty. Take the new supercharged 6.3L ZR1 Vette. Look at the post under "other cars"

R

·
0 Posts
yeah but have they made a tune for the 2.2 cobalts? that was the biggest concern when i had my cobalt was the fact that there was no tune.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Theres several options. Saying there is "no tuning" is not an accurate statement by a couple people. I'm going to do my tune with the AEM FIC unit. They use that on drift 350Zs and a couple other modified cars that are on the NHRA circuit. Go to AEM and read on the forum about the cobalt applications. Also, no one has looked into megasquirt but that might be an option.

·
Registered
192 Posts
there is no tuning suite for the 2.2's still. you have the aem piggyback, megasquirt(dont really know much on that), and i believe thats about it. im not big on piggybacks but i suppose it could get the job done

damn you gibson!! you just beat me to it

blkbalt06 added 2 Minutes and 49 Seconds later...

gibson, if you know enough about megasquirt, could you possibly go into detail explaining what it is? this would help a lot of us out, including me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm working on a turbo and supercharger FAQ write up thingy. It's a few days away still but if you hang in there I'll have something for you guys. We are getting into prime election season so my schedule is crazy right now and I usually don't have more then a couple minutes at a time to piddle on the internet.

I'm working on something though.

·
Registered
575 Posts
haha IMA I just did a short-write up on the vs. but a FAQ would be great to add too. See what u think I know way more about turbocharging a car than supercharging.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there was one website I found before I reformated my computer where this company actually made a turbo for the 2.2 Cobalt and ION.It wasn't the AEM piggyback though.That would be great to see a FAQ sheet on a turbo vs a supercharger.Since there are tons of others here or around the world who still don't understand it as well

·
Registered
561 Posts
On a 4 cyclinder go with turbo. Doesn't take any power away from the engine and it's not limited by the supercharger size.
Thats where the misconception lies...Everyone says turbos are free power....they aren't...The typical boost form turbo is 6 to 8 psi. Since normal atmospheric pressure is around 14 psi at sea level, you are getting about 50 percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50 percent more power. It doesn't work like that... you might only get a 30 to 40 percent improvement instead.

Why is this you might ask?... Having a turbine in the exhaust flow increases the restriction in the exhaust. This means that on the exhaust stroke, the engine has to push against a higher back-pressure, taking away some the added power.

·
Registered
575 Posts
corrected thanks nugz

R

·
0 Posts
yeah i didn't think there was any tuning yet, not like the 2.0 and 2.4's sucks for those who own the 2.2's but hopefully they can get things done without any problems

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there are some stuff coming out for the 2.2,so I am not really left behind hahah

·
Registered
673 Posts
there are some stuff coming out for the 2.2,so I am not really left behind hahah
I've heard that for 3 years now. Good luck with that.

Honestly though you can always do a piggy back or a stand alone. Both options are available for the 2.2. I'd do a standalone but that's not something your average joe is going to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.