Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I have heard a lot of hype about the new cobalt SS turbo and how it is putting out more power then the s/c. Are they both capable of putting out a max psi of around 20 to 25 psi??? If you were to take a 2.0 turbo and a 2.0 s/c and gave them the same internals such as cams, pistons, rods, valves and such to enhance the forced induction flow, and both were running at around 23psi what would be the outcome of each. In saying outcome, lets say from a standing start to 135MPH. It seems if they are both forcing the same amount of air, the only difference would be the torq band. A Turbo would come on slightly stronger and probably a little more because it requires no drive train power to force air into the intake, yet the s/c would more then likely have greater torq at lower RPM.... Also, the turbo is running an inter cooler I believe, so what is the difference in temperature of the air being forced into the intake between the two?

thoughts?????

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry I don't believe "what if?" acts as a comment, question, or answer to the post I made. Perhaps you over thought the post and/or were stoned...

~Please try again~

·
Banned
384 Posts
LSJ>LNF

does that help? or were you even aware that the two had different motors

·
Registered
192 Posts
i say LNF>LSJ. its only limitations are parts availability, and the tranny not being able to support much more power. my belief is the internal construction of the tranny is made of powdered steel, not as strong as machined steel. direct injection is the sex when it comes to efficiency. plus, with the cobalt ss/tc, upgrade intake, charge piping and intercooler and you're probably looking at 20+hp.

now on to ksmutek. in your situation, its hard to say. it would most likely come down to traction. with 23 psi in boost, thats a lot to the wheels. in a fwd car, its gonna be tough to put all that to the wheels. launch control with the LNF cobalt(ss/tc) will help a bunch. also no lift shift will help keep the turbo in boost, eliminating a drawback to turbocharged applications. the ss/sc is intercooled as well, but its generally referred to as an aftercooler. the coolant runs by the intake mani if im correct, then goes to a front mounted heat exchanger and goes through the process again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
oh yeah. same displacement, 2.0L. the LNF(tc) is direct injected, has variable valve timing, upgraded bottom end and other features to boot. dont get me wrong the lsj is a great motor, i love it.

·
Banned
384 Posts
i think youre right blkbalt. it is going to come down to traction.

but also with a complete motor build, youre going to need a turbo upgrade and were getting into upgrades.

i personally would pick the sc.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I still stick by my sc's for big displacement. Just a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new here and looking for performance tips. I have an 06 SS 2.0 Supercharged. Any suggestions. Still under factory warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
turbo>supercharger

there was lag in the supoerchargers if u try the 2009 ss its flys compared to the earlier ss models lol turbo ftw!

·
Registered
59 Posts
SS/TC all the way only on a tune can u get 300 to the wheels WOOT

·
Registered
678 Posts
Anyone got a LT 2.2L with either a supercharger or a turbo? I want to put in one or the other and im just looking for which is better

·
Registered
63 Posts
i was a big turbo guy i had a turboed 240 sx but now having an 05 ss/sc i really am liking not having to wait for turbo to spool up is great. i cant wait to get a smaller pully and learn more about the supercharger!

·
Registered
170 Posts
curious

I didnt read all the pages on this cuz its late and there is a lot to read. But I heard from someone that it might be interesting to put a super in with a turbo, cuz the super does instant then the turbo kicks in and does it from there type of thing, is this possible or does it basically cancel each other out?

21 - 40 of 198 Posts