Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. But if its better to have turbos on smaller engines why do all the big diesel trucks come turbocharged? Is it cause of the set up of a diesel engine? How different is a diesel engine compared to a regular gas engine?

I know for a fact that diesel is pretty much different in so many ways. for example they dont use spark plugs, they use glow plugs which are always being used and they dont control air intake, I think I heard that is changing but I could be wrong on that. I really dont know why turbos work better on them than supers, someone else would have to explain that one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I usually google stuff for my engine and look for adresses that I know of, like k&n or something like that. For example turbo for cobalt LT 2.2L. Something like that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SS/TC all the way only on a tune can u get 300 to the wheels WOOT
So you can go from 260hp(stock to the crank) on an ss/tc and tune it and get 300whp.. Not possible

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
So you can go from 260hp(stock to the crank) on an ss/tc and tune it and get 300whp.. Not possible
Actually.. it is possible.. GM gave the LNF such a weak tune from the factory! I have seen STOCK LNF's with 320WHP and like 340TQ! don't you ever read in the LNF section at CSS?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go Trifecta, the stage kit is a joke with little gains for the money. With what you would spend on the Government Motors stage kit you could get a nice custom tune, & charge pipes (something GM shouldn't have cut corners on to begin with...plastic crap). Go aftermarket if you want solid performance. Alot of folks are pushing in excess of 300 HP with tune alone and not blowing their cars to pieces. Don't let folks scare you away from aftermarket tunes IMHO.
here is a link discussing the gm stage 1 kit for the lnf and the trifecta tunes. im seeing upwards of 300 hp not 300whp. large difference. Trifecta tune or GMS1 for TC - Cobalt SS Network

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'd personally opt for a turbo. Hopefully doing my 4th year final engineering project on them. I find them fascinating, and you'll soon see many future semi-electric cars with them, like the 1.3L mini cooper theyre working on developing. I'm quite familiar with the turbo system although not an expert...I do know some real experts on that though and when I'm done my stage and I head back to school I'm def gonna pick their brains about it and start piecing a really solid kit together and when my 3yr warranty is up BOOM on goes the turbo lol.

·
Registered
70 Posts
nice, i'd stick with the turbocharger hands down though...plus, who doesnt like the sexy spool and BOV release ;)
Apexi's sound the best, HKS BOV's sound a little too high pitched sometimes :/

·
Registered
526 Posts
nice, i'd stick with the turbocharger hands down though...plus, who doesnt like the sexy spool and BOV release ;)
Apexi's sound the best, HKS BOV's sound a little too high pitched sometimes :/
yeah my brother has a turbo on his scion tc with the HKS BOV. I love it, but I like the ones that are sequential and keep going like "WHOOO CHU CHU CHU CHU" rather than "WHATCHI" :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
here is a link discussing the gm stage 1 kit for the lnf and the trifecta tunes. im seeing upwards of 300 hp not 300whp. large difference. Trifecta tune or GMS1 for TC - Cobalt SS Network
I agree 100% with you, The GM stage kit only gives you what 20hp, when a tune will give you 40+hp if you get a good one. If you want to say one the safe side with GM get there stage kit, but if you want to make some real power get a costom tune

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
im debating on either SCing or TCing my 2.2, wat do you guys recommend, its auto and most people have told me to go SC cuz of that but if i turbo it wouldnt it be the same thing?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
im debating on either SCing or TCing my 2.2, wat do you guys recommend, its auto and most people have told me to go SC cuz of that but if i turbo it wouldnt it be the same thing?
I have an auto also...With Turboing an auto i've heard that you'll always hear the blowoff, but with manual you could control it...auto always gives you perfect shifts, so in a 1/4 mile race if you're supercharged you'll rip him off the line no problem...

41 - 60 of 198 Posts