Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 06 Cobalt ss sc and i have a aftermarket part on it the filler is in the truck and the pump is back there to the tube runs underneath and into my supercharger and i have the electronical peice inside to set it up i heard it was methane boost but i never heard of it can anyone help?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
^^you sir are correct.

OP, a lot of the SS/SC's (if modded and/or tuned) will have Methanol Injection (meth). This allows for an extra flammable fluid to be put into the engine to help seriously cool down the intake air temps (by about 40 degrees). The colder the intake air temp, the more power you get. If you want it to run, just grab a thing of windshield washer fluid, fill up your tank in the back and go have some fun. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of hp could i expect from this i looked it up and it is a water meth injection im guessing that it is a stage 1. ive read different things saying that it could actually drop hp if not properly tuned but i bought it with the water meth injection so im guessing that its tuned good i dont know nothing about these systems

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Ok, I'll try to explain Meth injection systems as best as I can.

In the older days of turbos people would use C02 to rapidly cool the intercooler so that it would cause a "freezing" effect on the air that goes through the intercooler to help lower the IAT's (Intake Air Temperatures). Lower IAT's will cause a more dense fuel/air mixture and give more power. This is why all cars feel like they have more power in the morning when it's colder than in the middle of the day or evening, because in all actuality they are more powerful. It's more noticeable for FI cars than NA.

Now in more recent years, Methanol/Water Injection systems have actually come into play. Yes they can make you lose power if you are using too much as it actually floods out the system. However, when spraying the optimal amount of Meth/water mixture (80:20 is a good mixture and lph depends on the boost levels), you will gain much more power than imagined. Meth/water injection systems have been proven to drop IAT's by about 40-60 degrees normally. This usually equates to roughly 40ish whp. HOWEVER, with it dropping the temperatures that much, it allows for a more aggressive tune to push more power out of the car. In a nutshell, Meth/water systems are just about as good at e85 when tuned properly. Most people have seen on average of about 50-60whp gains using methanol. However, if not setup properly, especially safety wise, you can blow your motor VERY quickly by running the car all out and not have any methanol in the system causing you to way over strain your motor and getting all kinds of knock or detonation which will cause very bad things to happen in your engine.

If I were you, I'd be contacting a tuner in your area to help you go over your Meth injection setup to make sure it is properly tuned and installed correctly for your car. If not, you will be replacing a motor very soon.

Also, 70:30 mixture of Methanol is actually Windshield washer fluid. :) Most people don't know that.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
go to the section of the forum you need, and it's above all the threads on the left side

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.