Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was just wondering should i get an aftermarket supercharger and redo the motor or should i just try to find a wrecked SS and slap it into my LT? if i decide to get an aftermarket one, where could i find a good setup?
thanks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
the best way to say this to you is,you might end up spending 6grand,to me you need to rebuild the motor first then you can supercharge it or turbo it.Most will say you can do it by just doing some internal work,but that's unbalancing.Might as well do the whole motor build.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
the best way to say this to you is,you might end up spending 6grand,to me you need to rebuild the motor first then you can supercharge it or turbo it.Most will say you can do it by just doing some internal work,but that's unbalancing.Might as well do the whole motor build.
Well, on the flip side, you can bolt on a turbo or super and not do internals, if you are running like 2-3PSI of boost, but it's hardly performance then

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
trade it in... get an SS. itll be faster look better, have more accesories inside, like steering wheel controls, will be chaper, less work. And you can probably get one dirt cheap since gm is ready to collapse, they dieing for money.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
first off you can do it without rebilding a whole motor and just some internal work and its not unbalancing. secondly you could do either a turbo or supercharger on stock internals and run like 8-10psi and still be safe. and thirdly, everyone could all go buy SS's to be "fast" but whats the fun in your car if everyone does that? keep your car. besides, you can take a 2.2 or a 2.4 and make it faster then an SS. especially the superchrager ones.

you can find a wrecked one to pull the supercharger out of. that would be the cheapest route for that. or if you wanted to turbo then check out garrets website

·
Registered
869 Posts
I prefer superchargers, but I would cast my vote for turbo for ease of installation and efficiency. If you get an S/C (especially off of a wrecked SS) then you're in for a lot of custom work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
trade it in... get an SS. itll be faster look better, have more accesories inside, like steering wheel controls, will be chaper, less work. And you can probably get one dirt cheap since gm is ready to collapse, they dieing for money.
yea but why go to a smaller motor if you can fully build the 2.2?
-----Added 23 Jan 2009 at 01:34:35-----
first off you can do it without rebilding a whole motor and just some internal work and its not unbalancing. secondly you could do either a turbo or supercharger on stock internals and run like 8-10psi and still be safe. and thirdly, everyone could all go buy SS's to be "fast" but whats the fun in your car if everyone does that? keep your car. besides, you can take a 2.2 or a 2.4 and make it faster then an SS. especially the superchrager ones.

you can find a wrecked one to pull the supercharger out of. that would be the cheapest route for that. or if you wanted to turbo then check out garrets website
exactly. it doesnt make sense that gm boosted the 2.0 when they have a 2.4 thats available. keep your car and build it. i would recommend turbocharging it after you build it over supercharging it.

·
Registered
13 Posts

exactly. it doesnt make sense that gm boosted the 2.0 when they have a 2.4 thats available. keep your car and build it. i would recommend turbocharging it after you build it over supercharging it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
you guys make me laugh. force induct the motor without any motor build is going to **** your shit up. no offense all but yes you should buy the ss being you can find a mid mileage SS S/c for about 10g's. Hell thats probably less then you paid for your new LT.. and it does make since GM boosted the 2.0 if you read up on your shit you will find out why 2.0's LOVE to be boosted.

you COULD do it, but it sounds like you dont wana build the motor, which leads me to think your not really willing to spend what you will need to. With that said, you will be replacing parts as they brake in time...reliable? no. the SS? yes.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Probably better off rebuilding your motor with stronger internals such as pistons, rods , cam , cam gears , valves , springs , retainers , and other components if you are gonna boost it and wan to see the performance gains. But this is a costly project and you are gonna need to know what is compatible with what. Considering that those are only some of the parts you will need. This will be a costly project , but hey if you got the money then go for it. You are still gonna have to get a tune , larger exhaust if your still running stock , larger down pipe , oil feed lines an upgraded fuel system ....etc . So you just need to do the math and see which route you wanna go. New car with most these features already ? or the expeirence of doing the work and having the results pay off

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
You can't just slap on a SC and go? It looks that simple. A turbo looks more complicated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should beable to do a supercharger on very low boost with out building the motor,but as for turbocharger its a whole different story.We are talking 4 bangers not v8s where you can run twin turbo set up of 6psi on stock motor and gain 455rwhp

·
Registered
360 Posts
The 2.0L ss/sc is a destroked 2.2L it was done to make it more reliable !

·
Registered
132 Posts
there are quite a few 2.2's and 2.4's at css that have went this route, i'm not to sure but i'm pretty sure majority of them are running them on the stock motor, how much boost i dunno but you should fine with a good tune, you can get the M62 for around $300.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you guys make me laugh. force induct the motor without any motor build is going to **** your shit up. no offense all but yes you should buy the ss being you can find a mid mileage SS S/c for about 10g's. Hell thats probably less then you paid for your new LT.. and it does make since GM boosted the 2.0 if you read up on your shit you will find out why 2.0's LOVE to be boosted.

you COULD do it, but it sounds like you dont wana build the motor, which leads me to think your not really willing to spend what you will need to. With that said, you will be replacing parts as they brake in time...reliable? no. the SS? yes.
Quit spreading mis-info

kthxbai

There are lots of 2.2's and 2.4s running around on 8-10psi on stock everything with no problems.

You dont need to build anything, You wont need anything custom, All the supercharger parts will bolt right on and you will just need injectors and a tune.

And yes the 2.0 is just a destroked 2.2 so that why everything will swap right over

·
Registered
35 Posts
You can't just slap on a SC and go? It looks that simple. A turbo looks more complicated.
Eh your sorta right, THe supercharger stuff swaps right over making it more simple but the overall work load is probably about the same
-----Added 5 Feb 2009 at 01:44:13-----
go get em Tim lol
:blink1:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.