Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 09 cobalt coupe ls xfe, I purchesed new.
Over the last 2 months I've noticed a problem while driving. the cars just randomly starts bucking and jerking. it comes and goes it doesn't matter
what gear or speed or rpm. I haven't gotten any codes or anything yet.
I am alittle concerned as I drive for work and this is my only car. I was thinkin it may be an injector or a coil pack. Anyone had this or have any ideas on what may be causing this? I don't want to take it in unless i have no other choice as this would mean i can't work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark but does your car have a external fuel filter it could be the problem if its plugged up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum.

I am having a problem very similar to Vette

I have found that it's most prevalent under light acceleration. If I punch the throttle it goes away momentarily until I'm light on the pedal again or maintaining a cruising speed. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in.

It also usually doesn't start happening until several minutes of driving (after the car has warmed up) and it idles as smooth as can be, even while it's acting up (coming to a stop light for instance)

I commute about 1 hour each way to work and I'm seeing that this problem doesn't last the entire drive. It usually goes on for about 10-15 minutes and then goes away.

No engine codes.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having a similar problem as well, but with more symptoms. For example, many times when stopping or slowing down my car just shuts off. No bucking or sputtering, just dead. Also I am tending to have to start it several times when starting up, which can be dangerous in the middle of the road. I also have the whole bucking thing, but its usually when I try to accelerate quickly. My car has also been randomly revving its own engine while idling, and my normal idle used to be around 750, but now sputters around 500, and when it revs it revs up to 1500, and it'll do it a few times. Maybe this is more than one problem? But they have all started at the same time, right after we replaced the clutch master cylinder hose....ideas? I do have many codes that come and go, a few being the oxygen sensor and map sensor, any my secondary air intake system.

Also, I almost forgot, any time the gas tank is under half tank full, and it does the stalling thing, once it starts up it usually shows lower gas amount than what was there, sometimes even saying it is empty when I know for a fact it is not, and triggering my low fuel light to go off. Eventually the gas guage will slowly rise back up to the appropriate position, but if the low fuel light came on that will stay on until turning off and restarting the car again.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
tsande00 – It’s been a few days since you originally posted about your issue with your Cobalt so I was just curious if you’ve made any progress. Has your dealership had any input as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
I had this happen to my 07 and it turned out to be spark plug coils. It was under warranty so the dealer replaced a bad plug coil and all 4 plugs. Been running great ever since.

·
Registered
166 Posts
see mine doesnt have any problems once it gets to operating level but when it first starts out in the morning it does that any ideas?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm having a similar problem as well, but with more symptoms. For example, many times when stopping or slowing down my car just shuts off. No bucking or sputtering, just dead. Also I am tending to have to start it several times when starting up, which can be dangerous in the middle of the road. I also have the whole bucking thing, but its usually when I try to accelerate quickly. My car has also been randomly revving its own engine while idling, and my normal idle used to be around 750, but now sputters around 500, and when it revs it revs up to 1500, and it'll do it a few times. Maybe this is more than one problem? But they have all started at the same time, right after we replaced the clutch master cylinder hose....ideas? I do have many codes that come and go, a few being the oxygen sensor and map sensor, any my secondary air intake system.

Also, I almost forgot, any time the gas tank is under half tank full, and it does the stalling thing, once it starts up it usually shows lower gas amount than what was there, sometimes even saying it is empty when I know for a fact it is not, and triggering my low fuel light to go off. Eventually the gas guage will slowly rise back up to the appropriate position, but if the low fuel light came on that will stay on until turning off and restarting the car again.
as far as the fuel gauge being incorrect my dad's '99 silverado did that for years then one day the whole truck just quit, ended up having to replace the fuel pump & filters... after that the gauge worked again and it runs fine

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
I'm leaning towards this problem being a bad coilpack as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
as far as the fuel gauge being incorrect my dad's '99 silverado did that for years then one day the whole truck just quit, ended up having to replace the fuel pump & filters... after that the gauge worked again and it runs fine
Thanks, I'll look into replacing those also. I'm sure my problems are more than just one thing, I'm going to be doing a lot of work on it soon. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
tsande00 – It’s been a few days since you originally posted about your issue with your Cobalt so I was just curious if you’ve made any progress. Has your dealership had any input as to what might be going on?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

I have in fact made some progress.

Update:
Shortly after posting my original message (and reading about MAF problems) I took my airbox cover off and removed the airfilter for inspection - looked dirty but nothing to be overly alarmed at. I cleaned out some sand and dirt on the rubber seal and put the filter and cover back on.

Problem went away! At least until yesterday when it started acting up again on the way to work. It also acted up as soon as I started driving to grab lunch at noon so I pulled over took the air filter, put it back in and wallah...problem gone again.

I'm going to try replacing the air filter and see if the problem stays away. If that doesn't fix the problem I'll probably replace the MAF.

As for the dealer - my car is @ 50K miles and well out of warranty so I did not check in with my local GM dealer.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I have this problem from time to time especially when it is cold. I find that if I let it heat up and the coolent reads around 190 I never have problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
im having the same sputtering problem with my 09 cobalt and there is no engine light. However i brought it to the dealer and they said it had a MAF sensor code. I got a new MAF sensor but it still did it. On my cobalt as I have the clutch pressed in and I start the car the RPM's drop like it wants to stall and it will surge like that for a few seconds. I also noticed when it sputters and jerks there is a tapping or diesling sound from the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same issue - got the car brand new but after 60,000 kms my factory warranty was over and accoding to GM the way their extended warranty (which I had paid extra for) works is that they will check out the car and then submit a report and if it gets approved then all repairs are free but other wise I have to pay an inspection fee + cost of fixing the issues. To check this, they wanted $150. I'm not taking a chance and loosing $150 as they will prob deny the claim anyway.

Anyway, I told them put my car down and I'll fix it myslef. Turns out the shaking and the jerking was caused by the MAF harness being loose - didn't really look loose but wasn't at tight as it shoud've been. I pushed it in tight and haven't had the issue since. Hopefully this help.

This simple solution would've kept me happy but nowI will never got back to that dealership and never by another GM vehicle. Hopefully this works for you guys, please let me know if it does.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Also, prior to this I replaced my air filter and my spark plugs but neither helped the situation.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine does something weird too similar to this. It's usually around 35 to 40 MPH. It's more like a cough than anything. It's more noticeable when I set the cruise control to about 40 MPH, then go down hill. It feels like the some kind of "brake" is engaging when the car speeds up a little bit down the hill. Kinda feels like it dropped down a gear, but the RPMs don't change. I could also be accelerating to 40 MPH, but lift my foot off the gas when I hit 40 MPH. Then I feel that "tug" again. So not sure what's up with that.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
GT-101,

Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you had with your dealership. If there’s anything I can do to follow up on this, please private message me (I’d like your name, VIN, and contact information) and we’ll go from there!

Thanks,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
12 Posts
ouch. I found this thread, because I have the same problem everyone is explaining and now am even more upset that i found it as its common. Right when I come to stop, and shift out of first it does that bucking/lurching into second. As an experienced manual transmission driver, its almost like the engine is trying to "brake" under acceleration. car is an 09. only 51000 miles on it. bought new. I take care of it with regular oil changes, and air filters. So I am curious what could be causing this.

Any takes on this one fellow cobalt drivers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
also had this prob with my 07 finaly it threw codes...purge solenoid and MAF never replaced either however just fuel filter and problem went away also i had a cracked pcv hose too that i think also might have been causing it...hope this may help..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.