Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm going to attempt a suspension build this next month. Here is my list of what I'm going to to get. Currently I am riding on SSi springs, Koni yellow adjustable shocks/struts, and a CA strut bar.

Here's what I'm looking at getting:

1) Cobalt SS/SC Adjustable Rear Strut Bar 104.99 (BWoody Performance Products )

2) Cobalt SS/SC Front Sway bar links 133.99 (BWoody Performance Products )

3) Cobalt SS/SC Traction Bars 189.99( )BWoody Performance Products

4) comp Driving steering knuckles 300.38 (ea)(Cobalt Competitive Driving Steering Knuckle RH 88958711 - Crate Engine Depot )

5) FE5 Lower control arm 122.68 (ea) (Cobalt FE5 Lower Control Arm LH 2008 - 2010 25930725 - Crate Engine Depot )

6) turbo Tech Racing Steering Rack Spacers 19.99 (Turbo Tech Racing Steering Rack Spacers Chevrolet Cobalt 2005-10 & HHR & G5 - Suspension - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC )

7) Eibach Rear Sway Bar Kit 179.99 (Eibach Rear Sway Bar Kit Chevrolet Cobalt & HHR 2005-10 - Suspension - Turbo Tech Racing, LLC )

Let me know if I missed anything! Please post links up as well!

**Edit**
First of all to get the comp grade steering knuckles I need the pre 2008 control arms (thanx for the heads up MP81!)
Also thanx everyone for the heads up on the steering rack spacer issues. I was gonna get these to get RID of the damn knocking sounds I get when I turn the wheel. Go figure.
And now that you mention it dandaman, I think I might have to get me some better springs too :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Moot endlinks from rock auto. Less than half the price for 2 and better worth. Strut bars aren't exactly worth it from what I'm told. Also I hear steering rack spacers make your car sound like its going to break

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check out those endlinks, thanx man! As for the strut bar, that's already a done deal so whatever. It was free anyway :D. And the steering rack spacers make your car noisier?! Wth lol

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Refer to my comments on this post over at CU.

And yeah, my rack spacers made my steering rack creak and groan whenever I turned the wheel at stop or low speeds...

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm Getting her ready for this years auto cross season. :) and the reason I'm getting the comp grade steering knuckles is because I've heard a LOT of stories about our stock ones cracking while autocrossing. I want to be able to pull those turns as hard as possible without worrying that any part of my suspension will give.

As far as getting the powell sway bar instead, I'll check that out too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lemme know how it goes, man. I'm getting into the Auto-x and have gotten springs and Eibach sway bar. Not trying to bite off your style, just wanna see how well things go.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nah nothing wrong with you trying it out too! I honestly don't really need all of those things, but from what I've been reading, I'd really look into those Comp grade steering knuckles. I've heard quite a few stories about our stock ones cracking. In fact the reason GM released these comp grade ones was in response to so many people cracking the stock ones o_O And where did they crack them, you ask? Why they were all out on the autocross course! lol

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I'm having issues ordering frome crate engine depot because 'hawaii' isn't an option when you click on which state you're from...lol Otherwise everything else is ordered and on it's way!

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the steering knuckles are out of stock and on back order so that's a no go. Everything else should. Be on the way. As for shocks and struts I am riding on koni yellow shocks and struts and ssi springs

·
Registered
287 Posts
So the steering knuckles are out of stock and on back order so that's a no go. Everything else should. Be on the way. As for shocks and struts I am riding on koni yellow shocks and struts and ssi springs
Love Konis. just not the price lol. Anybody running with KYB schocks and struts? heard there good

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard the opposite. If you wanna upgrade go with the stock SSTC FE5 shocks/struts. They are actually pretty good shocks. Some people actually say they are better than the konis. I can't say because I never rode on FE5s personally.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i have the eibach sportlines here the thing my passanger side when i put em on the passanger side strut i the strut has stains on it fron seepin now my passanger side is saggin so i went to go order the kyb gr2 but tireack says itll do the same thing and kyb wont warranty them with the protlines springs so the recomend the yello koni adj. so i said thats fine there on sale for 136each and 116each for the rear... but there on back order till june for the font and july for the rears koni is on back order tireack said. so what do u guys recomnd . and where did u get ur konis from. i juss wantd to go to tireack cus like like 15 miles away from me so i wont have to order them over the internet and pay for shipping and stuff but juss let me know what yous guys think...??

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered mine from partsforyourcar.com or autoanything.com I can't remember which exactly.

I've heard (i can't confirm personally) that the FE5 shocks and struts off of the later year SS cobalts are just as good if not better than the Koni yellows. Plus they are cheaper to boot. Check those out if you aren't having any luck with the konis. Another thing to think about is the konis will take some work to make them fit. My girlfriend did a write up on my installation in the 'How to' section.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

I just Bumped the write up if you wanna check it out.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Control arms came in...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.