Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you replaced this nut when you took it off? because ive talked to a tech and a few other guys and they told me I should replace them when I take them off!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...wasnt sure I didnt know if i should or not ive had people tell me I should and people who say I dont have to! lol

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't i have to when installing my springs? or do I just take the 3 little strut mount nuts off! lol Im new to suspension thats why im waiting and doing it in my suspension class at school! -just not confident in tackling it with little info that i do kno! lol

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Yeas you do. Here's a tip, loosen that nut before you do anything else. But don't remove it

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
jeez, nothing personal hail don't get mad but I need to correct this situation.

the PROPER way to do this is to use a strut socket and an allen (hex) socket. you can see a hex/torx socket in the top of the strut rod. DO NOT loosen it while it's on the car, you are in great danger if you do this because the spring is under pressure and could fly off and take your face out. besides, even if it's still on the car the strut rod will spin.

the style below, you use an open end on the top of the socket and stick an allen key in the top where the 3/4 drive would normally go into the torx on the top of the strut rod. now use a box wrench to get more torque with the allen key. loosen the nut using the open end/socket.

now, another method is using an impact gun and getting a good grip on the strut mount/bearing. I don't bother with the strut socket personally, but spinning the strut rod is not good for the valve at all. no harm done so far but I only trust myself with it.

and to answer your question, it is not completely necessary to replace the top nut, but it is a known thing that if you have a lock type nut with the plastic ring at the top, it's supposed to be a one time use. the plastic weakens every time you remove it.

if you're alright with re-using it which in my opinion isn't that half assed, just use a little loc-tite blue or a tiny dot of red.

·
Registered
169 Posts
jeez, nothing personal hail don't get mad but I need to correct this situation.

the PROPER way to do this is to use a strut socket and an allen (hex) socket. you can see a hex/torx socket in the top of the strut rod. DO NOT loosen it while it's on the car, you are in great danger if you do this because the spring is under pressure and could fly off and take your face out. besides, even if it's still on the car the strut rod will spin.

the style below, you use an open end on the top of the socket and stick an allen key in the top where the 3/4 drive would normally go into the torx on the top of the strut rod. now use a box wrench to get more torque with the allen key. loosen the nut using the open end/socket.

now, another method is using an impact gun and getting a good grip on the strut mount/bearing. I don't bother with the strut socket personally, but spinning the strut rod is not good for the valve at all. no harm done so far but I only trust myself with it.

and to answer your question, it is not completely necessary to replace the top nut, but it is a known thing that if you have a lock type nut with the plastic ring at the top, it's supposed to be a one time use. the plastic weakens every time you remove it.

if you're alright with re-using it which in my opinion isn't that half assed, just use a little loc-tite blue or a tiny dot of red.

Sorta...

Breaking the nut loose while the strut is in the car if fine, and can save you time and work. It has a few turns until it actually comes off. It will not spin if it is still mounted in the car. Also the spring will not shoot out at your face.. lol. But when you remove the bottom mounting bolts it will shoot down if you took the nut all the way off. Obviously dont remove it all the way until the spring is compressed. I went through two hex bolts until i said fk it and broke it loose in the car. You should replace the nut. Nylocks plastic, locks best when it is originally threaded on.

Your explanation works will if you read it from a book, but if you have actually done it, this is the best way

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
There you go drift^^^^^^^^^ Nuff said

I've done spring changes without spring compressors. You don't even need them

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok thanks guys! thanks for the methods to...so i can just take a impact and loosen it and do it that way?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
yes, that's how I usually do it. it's not the proper way but it gets the job done. don't forget to make sure you have the spring compressed too!

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea dont worry it will...my instructor will probably be there watching/helping I got about another month to I do it just trying to get a idea of how to do it right now! lol

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah when I went to school for auto tech the teacher taught us to use the impact gun.
Yea im probably gonna use the impact, im going to school for auto body and a tech, i just thought I would get this class done and do my car at the same time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.