Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Cobalt LS is getting the suspension rebuilt because of a leaking strut and the infamous clunk. I have a set of SS/TC springs and struts/shocks on the way. I know I need the control arm bushings any brand better that the others and anything else I should replace while I have it apart?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If you are looking for performance you can go with moog or ottp sells baller ones (spendy though). Also sway bar bushings wouldn't hurt, again moog. Finally, your end links will probably be fused to the strut so some if those too, lol again moog!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the OTTP ones worth the extra money on a daily driver? Should I replace both the control arm bushing or just the back one?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
On a dd just get moog if you want a bit more control. Otherwise you might as well get oe replacement for cheaper. I would replace at least the rear; both front and back if you can.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You happen to know the part numbers on the bushings I can't seem to find the front bushings.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I think the moog ones are a kit on Ebay. Not sure of part numbers, I'm doing this over the winter so I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I found it K200361 but I can't find any site that has a picture to make sure. The back is K6698 if that will help you will yours.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
They never have a kit. Just have to buy two. If you come out to mn I'll help you with the suspension!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
where i live the moog ones are $3.00 cheaper than the plain oe replacements and $10 cheaper than the dealer each.

Got both of my moog ones for $24

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have all the parts to rebuild my suspension in the morning so what tools will I need to finish the job this weekend?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Visegrips lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will an impact gun get the top nut off the strut with out something to hold the strut shaft?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
yup, just do quick bursts...burst-stop-burst-stop. it will work, always has for me. Absolute worst case grab the very top of the strut shaft with vise grips (they should never bottom out that low) and then bursts.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Visegrips lol
^THIS!!! All you need!! But really It goes so much faster with air tools.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Glad thats still alive Coby!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will have all the parts to rebuild my suspension in the morning so what tools will I need to finish the job this weekend?
So how do you get the new LCA bushings in...do you need an hydraulic press or can you 'squeeze' them back in using a bench vise.....
plan on doing the bushings(Moog at 15$each) soon and just wondering if its not easier (but more $$$)to buy a new LCA assy with the ball joints on them (don't need new ball joints yet)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So how do you get the new LCA bushings in...do you need an hydraulic press or can you 'squeeze' them back in using a bench vise.....
plan on doing the bushings(Moog at 15$each) soon and just wondering if its not easier (but more $$$)to buy a new LCA assy with the ball joints on them (don't need new ball joints yet)
I had to get a new shock because one of the ones they sent me was leaking when I opened the box. I plan on starting on this project in the morning using a socket, bench vice, and a bfh I will let you guys know how it works.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You can use a bench vise. Basically does same thing as a pressed. I used a 20 ton press and it took just over five mins to do both bushings. Would've taken me an hour to do both if the bolts didnt get stuck in the rear bushings and if the nuts didn't break free up top

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have the car done its setting on the ss/tc struts shocks and springs with moog endlinks, sway bar bushings , and control arm bushings. The vice and a bfh worked good took under four hours to do all for wheels. While I was under the car I took out the air silencer it rides and sounds alot better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.