Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put on some 17' MSR 34 (I think that's right) and now my wheel gap is even bigger. I want to lower my car using just springs but im afraid that my shocks will blow after some time. I want to get the Eibach prokit springs, but i'm worried, that i will break something in the end. I'm not a super aggressive driver but do take those fun corners sometimes. Should I just wait for my tax returns and get coilovers? (I don't want to spend that much money though.) Or should I not worry about my shocks and just buy the Eibachs?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
coilovers is always the better option, believe me i ahd sportlines at once and looking back i wish i had gotten coilovers the first time around.

but drop springs are not a bad option at all. just pair them with the FE5 struts/shocks and you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Its cost.

Ive been running on Eibach Sportlines and FE1 shocks for 30,000 miles and am still fine. I would advise the FE5 shocks and struts tho

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Yeah the handling is great on my new fe5 struts/shocks wih lowering springs, and cost me about half of what cheapest coilovers would have. I have no regrets, rly happy with my suspension setup. Except for I want my front a bit lower so I'll have to find a solution to that!!!grr lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, where is the best place to buy the Fe5?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
coilovers will not ride as soft as drop springs. ground force springs are a very daily drivable drop spring with a modest drop. they come with eccentric bolts too. no coil binding, quality springs with a nice low rate up front to keep it bump friendly.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Would it be a bad thing to put sportlines on stock LS struts???
meh. imo worst case scenario, you blow em... may as well drive with em for the like 50k+ kms you'll get, then swap over to something better

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
Did you go with a smaller diameter tire? you should have the same wheel gap as factory if you bought the correct size tire for the wheels.

but as for your question in my experience, I am on B&G springs since last winter and have no problems with my factory shocks/struts yet.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would like to hear more on this. I bought B&G springs and thought that my car was too low, then got some SportLines and liked the look. However, I think my struts are f*ed because when I hit little bumps it sounds like someone is hitting my car with a baseball bat. And you can hear it from the outside. SO... I have a funny feeling that my struts are shot from lowering my car. '08 LS(?) with 17" rims Stock struts and back shocks.
Thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.