Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on adding LED's in my Balt. I want to add LED's in the foot area of the front and back, I wanted to add a stock touch to it, instead of wiring it to a switch, I wanted it to come on automatically, so I came up with this idea.

I want to wire the LED's to the Gear (auto trans) lights, so when ever I have my lights on (automatically controlled by the ambient light sensor) they will come on automatically when needed. That's not the only benefit, the next benefit is, I can control the brightness of the LED's with the stock dimmer switch, if that's not ultimate stock, I do not know what it.

Since all the wiring is in the middle of the car, pretty much already exposed, it should be a very easy job and any wires would be easily hidden.

What do you guys think using this as a power source?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe it would be a better idea to also add a hidden switch somewhere... just in case. you might get tired of them constantly on. i know i like mine on the darkest setting and nice n dark when I drive. but everyones different.

btw good place to hide switch is in the fisher price tray on left of steering wheel. maybe top of that or even behind it so its 100% invisible unless you reach for it. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
LED strip

I wired mine into the dome light. :bigsmile:
That is my plan, installing an LED strip either side of the dash and have them come on with dome and fade out with dome. Using gray wire on C3 pin A10 of BCM fuse block.

Similar to this guy but in xenon white instead of blue.

How to add on to courtesy lights.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The dome light would be a good idea for the auto lights when the door is open, I'm not really looking for that, although a second power source (always hot) from there would be nice for when I'm not running the car, but simply getting something from it. That would make 2 mods out of one, so to speak.

I'm looking to keep everything stock, except for the added lights of course, wanting the dimmer control to be able to dim them, and yes, I will probably add a hidden switch somewhere for when it gets too bright that it becomes annoying.

Probably going to need Coby's help for some pinout for the power sources I need if I want to not directly tap into the lights themselves.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Feel free now that i have your VIN....lol

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A proper fuse box diagram (interior) would be nice as my one printed on cover completely sucks, looks like a totally different fuse box.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
You mean like this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hmm, that's the one printed on the panel, looks nothing like the fusebox inside, unless I'm just looking at it wrong, this is what I have.

It kinda looks the same, seems I'm missing a few relays and alot of the fuses are not there, the metal inside parts are not either

The white wire is the one I added for the radio btw.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It's not showing the connectors and the 2 relays you see 31 & 32 are on the reverse side of the block. You are correct in saying that power is not in the fuses because depending on the model some were wired and some weren't.

Where did you fuse the radio?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Currently its hooked up to the ACC on the BCM (Red one in the middle).

Its the White wire you see in the picture.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
DRL not to be confused with Ambiant lighting.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sorry I seem to have jump threads here somehow.

In your case DRL are your amber lights on each side also used as blinkers. DRL's come on when you put your car in drive so you can be seen. Ambient lighting automatically turns on your main lights at dusk and back off at dawn. (The little sensor on top of your dash). 2007 and later have the low beam filaments at half voltage for DRL's instead of amber lights.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea.

Anywho, back to the ACC location

The white added on is where it is currently connected and working perfectly fine.
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/interior-exterior-styling/28184-sweet-led-setup-im-planning.html#post554777

I had it on the top right 10AM on the left of the relay in the corner, this is powered up with the ignition set to on.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Has anybody tried something like this:

White 30CM 15 SMD LED Flexible Strip Car Grill Light Lamp Bulb 12V Waterproof | eBay
I can pick up a bunch of these for under $10, I will be waiting a long time, but saving a wheel barrow of cash.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered them anyway, seems like a sweet deal I cannot pass up, I'm really sick right now, so its going be about a week before I can even think about working on this project.

@Coby:

Could I please get a pinout for the dome lamp (unless I have to actually wire it to the dome, I want the LEDs to dim out with the dome light) and the interior lights (dimmer ones, cluster, HVAC or gear lights)

Thanks in advanced! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Again!?

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Oh, I forgot you posted it, I think I got the flu, must be dazed, sorry..

One thing, If I wire to A3, will the dim out still work?
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
A3 is just dome supply, A10 is dim control. Positive of LED to A3 or which ever supply you decide to use and negative of LED to gray wire on A10. Voilà!

1 - 20 of 387 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.