Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, not sure which forum this should have one in, but whatever. I have a 2010 cobalt 2lt. 2.2. I have 27600k on it and I just changed my oil today to Mobil super 5000. I love to baby my car and I don't drive like an a$$ hole. Sometimes, but pretty rarely. Would changing to synthetic be a wise choice? I want my car to be as efficient and long lasting as possible. If so, am I able to put it in when it comes time to change the oil?(32k miles). I know my car doesn't require synthetic, but like I said, I want to do anything I can to make it more efficient, unless switching would be a waste. Is it wise to switch to synthetic or should I just keep using conventional? This is the first time I changed the oil since I got the car so idk what the previous owners were using. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I have heard that using full synthetic on cars with lower miles isn't good for it, but I don't see how this could be. Personally iv been using full synthetic since I bought the car at 44k miles and now have 60k. Before switching to full use semi synthetic first

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Next oil change use semi, then the change after that go full

I use penzoil platinum full synthetic. Get it at Walmart for like 20-25 bucks. I believe there's a semi of that too

·
Registered
803 Posts
i use Mobil 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic and im only at 26,000... got the car at 18 and did one semi and now two full synthetic changes.

make sure to change your oil filter each time, also if you recently got your cobalt id change the interior cabin air filter as well. cant hurt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I'm gonna change the oil filter every time regardless. Is synthetic really worth it though? Like, for it go honest make a difference or is it just some trend hat everyone does because everyone else does

·
Cobalt Master
2,529 Posts
That's what I use in mine full synthetic(penzioll) with a fram filter, and I only have 48,400 miles on mine.

---------- Post added at 03:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 AM ----------

A friend of mine uses full synthetic Royal purple high performance motor oil in his cobalt, I tested I didn't see much of a difference between the brands of synthetic its all what the driver prefers I guess..

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Yea I'm gonna change the oil filter every time regardless. Is synthetic really worth it though? Like, for it go honest make a difference or is it just some trend hat everyone does because everyone else does
Lasts longer than regular. Last time I changed my oil it was still pretty clean, not all dark and cruddy looking

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it more efficient for the motor as well or is that some myth? I know I probably souNd like some idiot, but I just don't want to commit to using synthetic for the rest of my vehicles life If it won't make a noticeable/ long lasting change

·
Registered
172 Posts
mobil 1

my car has it suggested in the manual to use only mobil 1 full synthetic oil, now i know i have a turbo and it needs a very durable oil.but if thats whats recomended i feel comfortable using it.oil stays clean looking right up to change time.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I have heard that using full synthetic on cars with lower miles isn't good for it, but I don't see how this could be. Personally iv been using full synthetic since I bought the car at 44k miles and now have 60k. Before switching to full use semi synthetic first

I've was using full synthetic in my Cobalt at 3k miles on up. My Evo with 0 miles on my engine already has full race synthetic oil in it. I use full synthetic and it does work better, and last longer.

[/COLOR]A friend of mine uses full synthetic Royal purple high performance motor oil in his cobalt, I tested I didn't see much of a difference between the brands of synthetic its all what the driver prefers I guess..
There is a difference, even tho you can't see it, it's there. I promise.

Mobile one or royal purplw
Don't forget AMSOil and Valvoline VR1. Both of those are really good too. Brad Penn isn't too bad either, but that one is always my last resort.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My car came from the dealer with full synthetic and that's all I've ever put in it. I always keep regular changes and I haven't had a single engine problem for the entire 100,000 miles on the car. I plan on running this car for 300,000 miles at least and synthetic is a key component to making that happen.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have been using fully synthetic in my cobalt since around 500 miles. I now have close to 80k on it and have had no problems. I dont think that it makes the engine more efficient or necessarily run better, I just like that it lasts longer than conventional oil. I used Mobile 1 up until the last oil change when I switched to a high mileage synthetic made by Valvoline

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've was using full synthetic in my Cobalt at 3k miles on up. My Evo with 0 miles on my engine already has full race synthetic oil in it. I use full synthetic and it does work better, and last longer.

Yea I don't see why it would hurt Anythjng. Iv been using the penzoil platinum full synthetic. Lasts longer and I feel that it is better than conventional

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I have been using fully synthetic in my cobalt since around 500 miles. I now have close to 80k on it and have had no problems. I dont think that it makes the engine more efficient or necessarily run better, I just like that it lasts longer than conventional oil. I used Mobile 1 up until the last oil change when I switched to a high mileage synthetic made by Valvoline
Just wait until you tear down an engine that used it as opposed to one that didn't, and you will see the difference :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.