Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ive always went with the idea that its ok to go from regular to synthetic but not back. Also that if you ran regular for a long time not to switch. Don't know how much of that is true but thats the rule of thumb i use. As far as additives most gas already has additives in it depending on what station you go to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Once you make the switch it's best you stick with it. as far as not switching after long regular oil use i dunno. My first car had over 100 grand of regular oil miles when i switched to syn oil and i ran it for another 60,000 before i got rid of it and the engine was still fine. I definately recommend a good synthetic oil, I've run synthetic in all my cars and probably always will.

dtadla added 1 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

oh and as far as gas additive other than the ocassional bottle of fuel injector cleaner. there's no real need for any thing else.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Ive always went with the idea that its ok to go from regular to synthetic but not back. Also that if you ran regular for a long time not to switch. Don't know how much of that is true but thats the rule of thumb i use. As far as additives most gas already has additives in it depending on what station you go to.
i agree with your belief biniecki when it comes to synthetic vs regular oil. It is Ok to switch from regular oil to synthetic, but it is not suggested to switch back, for you may destroy some seals after time. As for the age of the vehicle when you switch, you can do it anytime, synthetic will extend the life of the seals and gaskets in your motor, even if you have a few thousand miles on it, or ten miles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
why go back to regular oil?Synthetic oil keeps your engine clean,it does add 1-2hp and it also gives you better gas mileage,I don't waste as much gas honestly compared to regular oil,makes the car run smoother.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So what's the deal with switching from natural motor oil to synthetic?? Which way is okay and which isn't, and do gas additives really do anything?
With modern gaskets and sealers that has become an old wives tale. Switching back and forth wont hurt anything. I actually mix my oil 50/50, its cheaper and I still get the cleaning benefit from the synthetic. Depending on the gas additive yes and no. Dealers carry BG injector/carbon cleaners like 44k. Its a dealer only item as far as I'm aware but that stuff really, really, works.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
1) Either is fine, switch back and forth when you want. I would not mix them together (2 qts each in the same change). As long as your choice meets requirements in your owners manual.

2) Gas additives should be unnecessary, especially when using GM recommended "Top Tier" fuels. One additive is very necessary, if you plan on storing or limited driving over a period of months. It is called STA-BIL and prevents gumming of fuel that is inactive.

GTO 1

·
Registered
268 Posts
i've heard that if you switch to syn. after to high of mileage from regular oil you risk your gaskets leaking on the oil pan and head gasket. just what i heard though, don't quote me on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
i do the synthetic blend...heard the same thing bout going back from synhetic to regular but i dont plan on it...if it was an ergency situation it would be fine...i run at least a syn blend in all vehicles

·
Registered
230 Posts
Non-synthetic oil will swell the seals slightly so switching from non-syn to syn in a high mileage car could cause some leaks. Use syn for the Cobalt and switch over to non-syn when the mileage starts to get up there.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I think they have high mileage synthetic oil now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.