Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When your car was new how soon did you change to synthetic oil. Mine is the 2.2L and was thinking of changing over. Also, what brand or type of oil filter is best with synthetic. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
igot have syn blen sense i got my car and i got it wit 28k i still have it but i got fully synthetic today but the dude gave me the wrong filter. i heard u and go back and fourth between the syn blend and fully sythetic is that true????????

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I need to get one. Dealer ****ed up and gave me an oil change when that's not even what I was there for, and put in regular oil. GRRRRR! They told me drive with it for a few 100 miles and they'll give me a free synthetic oil change. Damn right, and they better hold their word to it or I'll go ape shit.

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I just wanted my car back so I could go to work. lol I HATE leaving my car there. I feel so incomplete when I know my car isn't in my garage safe I just want to cry :laugh: j/k

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm actually changing my 07LS 2.2L oil tomorrow. going to synthetic, and was wondering the same. probably going with the mob1, but is there any special oil filter i should use, or just the plain old acdelco?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i got tha mobile 1 oil filter i thikn it should work good hbu????

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I have heard to wait until you have at least 6000 miles before you stitch to synthetic. Although, I changed my oil on my new engine to synthetic at the first 3000

·
Registered
240 Posts
When your car was new how soon did you change to synthetic oil. Mine is the 2.2L and was thinking of changing over. Also, what brand or type of oil filter is best with synthetic. Thanks.
You can change over to a synthetic oil the day you pull the car into your driveway if you wish. Millions of vehicles all over the world come with their engines factory filled with synthetic oil, some requiring its use to maintain the warranty on the engine.

Be forewarned that there are many, "synthetic oils", on the market today down at your favorite auto parts stores that aren't really synthetic oils in the traditional sense of the term. Instead, they are what is known as Group III, "synthetic oils". Group III oils are an oil with its origins coming from dead dinosaur technology petroleum oils and they are subjected to a higher degree of refining, making them perform better than Group II petroleum oils. This is fine and dandy, but the problem is these Group III, "synthetic oils", don't have all the natural superior performance abilities of a true, Group IV, PAO based synthetic oil. We can refine a petroleum oil from here to Kingdom come, but it still doesn't perform as well as a Group IV PAO based synthetic oil, in my opinion and that of others in the oil industry. An interesting side note on this is that it is my understanding that in Europe, for an oil company to market a Group III, "synthetic oil", as a synthetic oil, is illegal. Know what you are buying before you buy it. Read labels and if that isn't providing enough information, (sadly, they usually don't), contact the oil company in question via e-mail, check their web site, or call them. Know what you are buying before you buy it. So please, consumer beware.

Any brand or type of oil filter will work with any brand or type of oil. Use whatever you wish. However, if you are a motorist who understands the benefits of synthetic oils, then you obviously care about your car and want the engine to last a good, long time, performing as in like new condition as possible. A top of the line oil filter can help with this desirable goal. AMSOIL Ea oil filters I think are the finest on the market and the industry leader, but unfortunately not available for the Chevy Cobalt at this time. Next in line I would personally choose a Wix oil filter, as they are very high quality. In my personal opinion, I would stay away from inexpensive oil filters as I think that is penny wise, but pound foolish. A superior quality oil filter is only a few dollars more and when you look at the thousands of dollars an engine represents, using a superior performing oil filter makes good sense.

Quality doesn't cost, it pays. :)

igot have syn blen sense i got my car and i got it wit 28k i still have it but i got fully synthetic today but the dude gave me the wrong filter. i heard u and go back and fourth between the syn blend and fully sythetic is that true????????
Yes, you can use a synthetic oil, switch back to a dead dinosaur technology oil, (although I don't know why you'd want to), and back and forth, whatever you like. There's nothing magical about synthetic oils, they are just a superior lubricant. It's kind of like if you eat a fast food cheeseburger one day and then eat a five star restaurant fillet mignon steak the next day, yes you can go back to eating a fast food cheeseburger the next day if you want. :)

Funny side note - I was in a Ponderosa steak house restaurant one time where I was standing in line waiting to place my order. When the gentleman in front of me in line placed his order, he said, "I'll have a fillet MIG NON"! :bigsmile:

i'm actually changing my 07LS 2.2L oil tomorrow. going to synthetic, and was wondering the same. probably going with the mob1, but is there any special oil filter i should use, or just the plain old acdelco?
In my opinion, AC Delco is a decent quality oil filter. I had used them for years until I discovered AMSOIL Ea oil filters. I think Wix is the next best filter available. Very high quality. Wix oil filters are typically available at higher end auto parts stores like NAPA or Car Quest, although I can get them through my AMSOIL business too.

You can use any brand or type of oil filter you want with any brand or type of oil. The oil filter filters out dirt from the oil, so it really doesn't matter what kind of oil you use, not to the oil filter anyway. :)

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I read on css unless your boosted synthetic is pointless and ur spending more money for nothing

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I read on css unless your boosted synthetic is pointless and ur spending more money for nothing
theres really not that big a difference in price, and why not use it. My car is still pumping at the same RPMs. so I make less power, the parts are still going to wear. I think thats just more of that SS, "we have REAL performance cars" ideology

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The best part of synthetic oil, is that you can go more miles on it than with conventional oil. That and is is a superior lubricant.. It will extend the life of your engine, especially on high performance engines and engines that are ran hard. In the end, i'd say synthetic is worth it..

·
Registered
208 Posts
Walmart sells 5 qt jugs of pennz platinum (great oil) for $20....mobil 1 is around $22.

As far as if synthtic is needed, it's really on an indiviual basis. The best thing to do is send a used dino oil sample to blackstone labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ then switch to a good synthetic and do the same thing. This will show you first hand how synthetic offers superior protection whether you're N/A or not.

The best part of synthetic oil, is that you can go more miles on it than with conventional oil. That and is is a superior lubricant.. It will extend the life of your engine, especially on high performance engines and engines that are ran hard. In the end, i'd say synthetic is worth it..
I don't recommend extended change intervals but that's just me. Synthetic gets dirty just like dino and needs to be changed...especially if you just switched over because synthetic tends to have cleaning properties. I change mine w/filter every 3.5k regardless of what's in there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Walmart sells 5 qt jugs of pennz platinum (great oil) for $20....mobil 1 is around $22.

As far as if synthtic is needed, it's really on an indiviual basis. The best thing to do is send a used dino oil sample to blackstone labs Blackstone Labs then switch to a good synthetic and do the same thing. This will show you first hand how synthetic offers superior protection whether you're N/A or not.

I don't recommend extended change intervals but that's just me. Synthetic gets dirty just like dino and needs to be changed...especially if you just switched over because synthetic tends to have cleaning properties. I change mine w/filter every 3.5k regardless of what's in there.

Your really just wasting money if you change it before 5k with most sythetics, and I believe mobil 1 is a group 3 synthetic, and wouldnt use it. I use pennzoil platinum which is group 4.

Also, fram filters for the most part are junk they arent not made very well at all. I use the Ac delco filters cost a little more, but they are better than fram filters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.