Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to get my oil changed for the first time on my 2010 LT. At Valvoline, when i pulled up they told me it would cost $30 for a oil change with just conventional oil and i had a $12 coupon so it would have only been $18 for me. They pulled it up on the computer and it said that it required synthetic oil. I then had to pay $60 to get full synthetic as they said i couldnt even use a blend. I think synthetic is awesome but i am a self supporting college student and cant afford that.

I had no choice but to get it seeing how they already drained my old oil and told me that i would have to sign a waiver to get conventional oil. Also that if i did, my warranties would be voided by the manufacturer (which i cant have because i am paying for an extended warranty).

Does a 2010 2.2 coupe really require synthetic oil? Or is this BS?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think its BS too, but you could probably change it yourself and put full synthetic in for about 30 bucks

·
Registered
156 Posts
BS for sure, I know some of these lube places will actually tell the customer it "requires" full synthetic to make way more profit when the car can run just fine with regular blend. And for warranty, if something brakes BECAUSE you put regular oil instead of synthetic then no its not covered under warranty. The dealer will have to prove the cause of the malfunction and if the oil was the cause of it.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Yep they are just hunting for money...

You can do this though. I just changed mine yesterday. 5 Qt Mobile 1 fully synthetic from Walmart $25.00 and a OEM Delco filter from the dealer $5.00.

$30.00 full synthetic oil change.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Absolute BS.
Mobil 1 is the oil that is in the car from the factory, and it is a conventional blend. Hell, I believe they even use it in corvettes, and last time I checked ferrari and porsche too. (edit: I believe those cars actually use a syn blend from mobil 1)

I don't know why synthetic would be required on SS models, maybe that is a small F/I engine thing, idk.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Absolute BS.
Mobil 1 is the oil that is in the car from the factory, and that is not synthetic (edit: i believe there is a partial syn blend that mobil 1 makes). Hell, I believe they even use it in corvettes, and last time I checked ferrari and porsche too.

I don't know why synthetic would be required on SS models, maybe that is a small F/I engine thing, idk.
Seriously...? :unsure: Mobil One is a FULLY synthetic motor oil.

And yes, it does come standard in most performance GM cars.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Seriously...? :unsure: Mobil One is a FULLY synthetic motor oil.

And yes, it does come standard in most performance GM cars.
Not neccesarily.
Taken from mobil 1's website: not sure exactly what blend GM uses though.

Mobil Clean 5000 5W-30
Mobil Clean 5000 5W-30 is a conventional motor oil that delivers proven protection of critical engine parts from lubricant-related failure for 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. It is designed to exceed most engine warranty requirements.

Edit: GM uses the 5w-30 standard syn blend, I stand corrected. But point being Mobil 1's oils are not exclusively synthetic.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.