Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me outside of a cut wire what will make these lights come on and after i turn it off and then drive it again they may be on or may be off then sometimes after a drive of xx distance they may come on again. the car has been setting all summer as i ride a bike and don't need the car they don't look rusted and i have not run over anything that i know of. don't think the wires would be cut or i should get the light all the time. mostly when i have stopped and waiting to make a left turn it will come back on. tomorrow i will put on the lift and see if a wire got cut. but i don't think so. will post finding then

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
wheel bearing

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wheel bearing
ok coby tell me this i had a bad wheel bearing for a few year on this car and i did not change it because i did not know which one. after some discussion and people telling me it was the left one based in the noise at a particular time of driving, turning to the left meant the right bearing. it turned out to be the left bearing. now i don't hear any unusual noise like before to tell me i have something going on and the light seems to turn on during a slow left turn like i'm setting at a light ready to turn left ant then go and a bit later i notice the lights on.

so front back left right. or do i have to pay the dealer to tell me what bearing? or wait till i can hear it? thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
A code reader will tell which sensor is acting up. Even if the check engine light is off the code will remain in history.

·
Registered
168 Posts
wheel bearing
Would that be the same issue with my truck (Ford Ranger)? My ABS light comes on once in a while, untill restarting it, then not on again for weeks.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Same principal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A code reader will tell which sensor is acting up. Even if the check engine light is off the code will remain in history.
thanks coby7 i figured that would work but was asking if off the top of anyone's head they could say which bearing may cause it or what to look for. i will see if my harbor freight scanner will tell me and if not take a drive to advance auto and see if there scanner will tell me. and i figure i will have to have the light on but maybe it will be stored in the computer. but i will try to stop when it is on. after i turn off the key it goes away. thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i took it to advance auto but i have no stored codes for some reason they wanted to have the lights on but when i turn of the car the lights reset every time. but this is what i have noticed. when i'm stopping and just about stopped the brakes vibrate like they are going into antilock and the road is dry. they do that maybe 2 times and then shortly after i get the tone and lights? so outside of catching the lights on and then having someone with me to be able to leave the car run while getting a helper to read the codes is there something i can do to help do more troubleshooting? thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Those are the symptoms of a bad wheel speed sensor. You don't need the light on to read history codes. I do this for my friend Chris all the time with my Tech II.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks i will take it to o'reilly's and see if there scanner will tell me the bad sensor maybe the poeple at advanced auto did not know if there scanner would do that. they told me it needed to be lit. thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
ABS and wheel sensor codes are B type codes will not keep the check engine light permanently on, but will remain in history or pending menu.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok took the wheel off today and found the sensor was dangling so my guess is a broken wire and most likely at the sensor. tell me when i went to advance auto online and searched the wheel sensor it showed a completely different sensor that what i have? it showed one that bolts into a hole and mine looks like it is molded into the hub? so what is the deal what do i search for to get the correct sensor.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so you think the harness and not the sensor. after i connected it the abs came on as i backed out of the garage. tell me coby7 is the harness wire any different that regular wire? if not i will make the harness. when i put the cable back into the slot it should have been in it was tight. now i wonder if it may have pulled out a bit from the connector socket. tonight i will check that out and get back. but the wire going up the strut could have broken with all the up's and down's the strut does a day. most worked part on the car, that never gets lubed. thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
today i checked the harness and the sensor. the harness for continuity and i could not get anything that show a break in the wire, no matter how i moved the wire it had continuity. the sensor i checked on 200 ma scale and i have .8 volt setting still and up to 2.0 volts when i turned the hub and no matter where i held that plug it did not change. but something is going on as that is what the scanner at orielly's said if correct. so i will change the hub because i had to change the left side already and the right may be on it's way out. will keep this updated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok update put in the used front right abs wheel bearing and got the darn fault came back so i will take it back and have it scanned to see if it is the same wheel

but now i have a creaking in the back right. that may be from brake fluid and when i took off the drum to inspect that brake for wear i managed to break the retainer spring and then the wheel cylinder popped out and got fluid on the shoes and drum. i cleaned the drum with some break clean and then heated it and the shoes to burn off the fluid i have done that before with success but now i hear a creaking when i stop. it may be the drum and some brake fluid causing that. this seek end i will look into it more to see. but if anyone has an idea send it along. thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
found that noise in the back brake the front shoe was rubbing on the drum have no idea how that happened but reset the dru and it appears to have fixed that. don
t know about the abs yet will that may have set that off. will know more next time i take it out. thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
now i get the abs light just setting in the drive after i start the car. don't even get to move and the light comes on. all the wires are connected. today i will get it scanned again. might be that used hub failed. it happens. will update these results when i get them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well it has been some time now and the abs has not returned. now that i write this i guess it will. the last time it was on i then removed the wires and doubled checked the connections and then added some grease to the connector plus i again checked to makes sure the harness was good from the wheel to the connection inside the fender it was. anyway so far it has not came back and yesterday when i was stopping and the road was wet the abs did do it's job i could feel it and hear it working. and no lights came on. so the used hub must be ok and the wires seem to be ok. it may have been i did not have a good connection. thanks for the help on this one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.