Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been waiting a full month to get my tail lights smoked. Then, I got my third ticket the other day (all from speeding) and got a random thought, so now wondering if I will attract cops even more if they notice the tint... Since obviously it's breaking out of it's grandma car reputation.

Honestly, I think I always get caught because my car is too damn bright though, so not easy to lose? Cause all of my tickets are under 15 miles over, which isn't that bad compared to MANY others my age who do way worse things. I drive aggressively, yes, but not like a reckless idiot teen who thinks they can race all the time and drift.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Get the k2 motors tail lights. Led bulbs and smoked with a dot stamp. So even if a piggy gets ya for it he can't give you a ticket. And they are only like 120 on eBay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow 3 tickets. Maybe you should get a rader and laser dectector Lol. As fas as the tinted tails its gonna draw a little bit more attention if u go to dark. I did my back side markers first for a referance to see how meny coats I needed. Two even coats and you can still see the light a little. I also replaced the factory bulbs with some brighter silver stars that helped bring out some more light.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Rrigs if they make those for sedans then Kate can get them, if not I would say get em tinted and fffff the police!

Sent from my PG86100

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
kateee slow down and live. Remember it's not speed that kills it's the sudden stop. 15 miles over in New-Brunswick rings you in a 360$ speeding ticket. 2 of these inside 2 years and you lose your lisence for 6 months and your insurance doubles when you get it back.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also replaced the factory bulbs with some brighter silver stars that helped bring out some more light.
Huh, I didn't think about that! Guess that is a good defense of having brighter bulbs if he gets me strictly for the tails. Although I am only smoking them out, very light, definitely not going dark. Think too dark really is kinda unsafe sometimes.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

kateee slow down and live. Remember it's not speed that kills it's the sudden stop. 15 miles over in New-Brunswick rings you in a 360$ speeding ticket. 2 of these inside 2 years and you lose your lisence for 6 months and your insurance doubles when you get it back.
Oooh, harsh. I got my first deferred and the last two had to pay for a lawyer ($350 each time) to get them thrown out. But, at least they aren't on my record and I still have my license.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Good lawyer...

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I got pulled over three times for tails. Almost got a dwi in the last one. Just bought the k2 tails.

·
Registered
803 Posts
ipcw are the best sedan tails.
i can't justify spending 300 on em new though
they have overlays for 15 bucks on ebay but i also am afraid of attracting cops..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Tinted tails are nearly as dumb as tinted headlights.

People don't pay attention as it is, so try letting some ignorant distracted driver in the direct daylight see you stop.

Oh, they can't.

Trust me, I know...both of my Prix's and my first 'Balt had tinted tails. I always cringed watching the car behind me hitting the brakes enough to do an endo at a stoplight in the daytime.

Don't be a cookie cutter car, keep the tails stock.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Learn were cops do speed don't be a dumb reckless driver that doesn't give a "f" lol just saying if you drive alot you should know some spots were they sit n do speed post, I've been driving for 2-3 years and i know alot about were cops sit and I'm a heavy foot alot of times. I was also thinking about the tail light tent myself and the led tail lights but like u said it would track more to you and is kinda un safe but i found this vinyl i was thinking of putting on my tail lights were it shows you lights but with a bit of style also, check this link out:)

Auto Ventshade Tail Shades II Taillight Covers 35553 Chevrolet Cobalt 725478077209 | eBay

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

P.s yet i also have yet to get a speed ticket just to my smarts of knowing were they sit and i don't have a radar detection either, like coby said slow down enjoy the ride at least cause its only gonna take so much till they take you license and ride lol.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Learn were cops do speed don't be a dumb reckless driver that doesn't give a "f" lol just saying if you drive alot you should know some spots were they sit n do speed post, I've been driving for 2-3 years and i know alot about were cops sit and I'm a heavy foot alot of times.
i have to agree, be smart about it. If you are going to do it, pay attention and dont give them anymore reason to screw you. i personally havent seen anyone get pulled over specifically for tinted tails, something else is usually the main reason (such as speeding)and the tails usually just get tacked on the ticket. However thats just my personal experience.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've been pulled over for the k2 tails before, so I wouldn't do the tinting unless you dont drive the car often. The nice thing about the tails that are manufacture tinted is you can point out the DOT stamp and give the cop the finger!! Well, not literally but you get the idea!

·
Registered
675 Posts
where can you get a set with the DOT stamp on them?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
When they come from a manufacturer like the K2 ones there is a stamp on the light. I typically dont notice it bcause it is small and stamped in the plastic but it does say DOT. Your stock lights say it too. I just show them that and tell them to note that they are legal. Haven't been pulled over since.

·
Registered
675 Posts
hmmm ill have to look into those, because ive wanted my to be "tinted" but still be legal and havent know where to get them

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.