Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was tinting my tail lights today and ran out of 800 grit. I thought i could use emery cloth instead but it left noticeable scratches even with the night shad applied. How can i get these marks out ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
that happened to me too and i tried using an electric sander because thats what my girlfriends step dad did when he used did his headlights and they turned out fine...but he used up all my nightshade and im too broke to buy anymore to see if it worked...:notrust:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
you used emery cloth on plast?!?! :nuts:

well...next time u run outta sand paper on a project like tinting ur tails stop and call a buddy or something to drive u to get sandpaper... but but anyways

go get some proper sandpaper, sand the shit outta the tail lights so there dull a shitty lookin then some scratch remover should shine them up again...

·
Registered
911 Posts
wetsand with 1200 grit...use Gold scotch-brite to rescuff the lights and then repaint...the 1200 will help get the scratches out without making new ones, the gold scotchbrite will help make sure everything is sanded good to have the paint stick...btw the scotch-brite won't leave visable scratches in the paint..a red one will,so don't use the red one (its a 320 grit approx) while the gold is 800-1200 grit approx
Also try rubbing compound if the scratches are quite visible ( I think Walmart sells some,not sure how good their's is, but it is a useful thing to have,gets overspray off,scratches,cleans up dull headlights etc) invest in some \m/

·
Bamble Ramble!!!!
567 Posts
not to steal the OP thunder, I too had a bad outcome with tinting my tails. I need to redo mine when I get home.....had some run and it's not very even at all lol

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I didn't even sand mine and somehow they came out quite well haha. Need to redo mine too bc the summer wore it down bc I didn't clear coat it. Big pain in the you know what.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
IMHO..You shouldn't sand them..I did that also and it left horrible scratch marks...

·
Registered
931 Posts
i did not sand mine.. i always just clean the crap outta them with windex wipe completly dry... then spray them... ive done everyone in my carclubs lights including my cars... and no problem

in your case hit them with some 1200 grit and resand the shit outta them, some sratch remover and ull be fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.