Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing some type of upgrading to the stock tail lights I have. Can someone please give me some recommendations? I want to keep the stock housing. I'm basically aiming at just changing the bulbs but need to know what brand is best. What will led tail lights look like? Will it give it that nice dot array effect you see on some cars or does that require whole new housing and just just an led bulb swap?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Sedan or Coupe?

·
Registered
153 Posts
=)

ive been wanting to do this myself....thought about using these led bulbs from ebay,...there like 10 -15 bucks shipped,....not sure how well they work but it looked promising,....but then theres the old saying ...."you get what you pay for"

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will using those bulbs exhibit an actual dot matrix appearance? Or do I have to use actual separate housing?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I understand you correctly, no. Unfortunately, for us sedan owners there aren't a lot of options.
Actually we can get that pattern of dots on
Our tails as someone posted earlier by buying aftermarket tails which cost hundreds of dollars. I was just trying to go the cheap route but I should have known it was too good to be true. So what is the purpose of just led bulbs then if they don't form a design/pattern? Just a deeper hue or color?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Maybe I'm missing what you're saying. Do you mean the pattern of dots on the bulbs? Bulbs yes, housings no. Our housings don't produce what I would consider the "starburst" look, as some vehicles have.

As for bulbs, f you get good ones, they're much brighter. Some people also like the way LED's flash. I used some LED bulbs for a while (with resistors) and liked them well enough. That would be the cheaper route. I recently put mine back to stock and stored my IPCW ones.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
why would you do such a thing stratos!

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
errr ill buy em off you just in case you get really bored ;]

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
if you still have em by the time xmas is over then i will definitely buy.

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

seeing that xmas presents come first =] then stuff for me lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
I recommend V-leds.com or SuperBrightLeds.com. I have various bulbs from both of these vendors in my exterior and interior lights, and they are good quality and very bright. You just need to make sure you buy the right kind of bulb for your application. I did get one bulb from Vleds that had a dead LED in it, but they have great customer service and they took care of me, even upgrading me to a higher grade bulb at no extra charge.

As for output, the reflectors in the Cobalt sedan tails are huge, and the lens isn’t diffused at all. So it will be very spotty with just an LED bulb. But it will be bright and turn off/on crisply. Seems like a better option for these tails is to fab a custom LED board and wire it up…but that is time consuming and can be expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.