Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought LED's for my brake/signals and they're blinking extremely fast, but they still work.

I know when a brake/signal bulb goes out, it blinks fast... so this is why i'm confused.

Anybody know anything?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
need resistors to fix that hyperflash. My front turn signal LEDs would have done the same thing without resistors connected to them. The electricians in this place can explain why it does it but it makes sense.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
That "hyper flash" happens when there is a low voltage link in the system (typically when a bulb is out. Since LEDs require so much less power the system thinks your light is out and turns on the hyperflash to let you know.

I'm probably wrong on the extact terminology, but it's probably close! lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
i bought LED's for my brake/signals and they're blinking extremely fast, but they still work.

I know when a brake/signal bulb goes out, it blinks fast... so this is why i'm confused.

Anybody know anything?
The leds pull less power so your system thinks there is a light out. (Hyper flash)
The resistors trick the system into thinking its pulling the correct power and thus no hyper flash!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i need a resistor..
where does the resistor go?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Plugs between the original wiring and the new bulb. Super easy.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

You can buy them on ebay just type in your bulb size and resistor. Should get a good assorment of styles and prices depending on how much "work" you want to do.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think Autozone or Oreileys have them?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Not that I have seen, but it doesn't hurt to check I guess.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woop woop, thanks a bunch guys.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
thank you Mr. Coby7 for your assistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got mine on EBAY for a less than $10 shipped.. best few bucks I ever spent lol. i got the 6 ohm resistors I believe.. Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
6Ωs is a bit low. You don't need to draw 2 amps from the flasher circuit to stop the hyperflashing. 10Ωs is plenty since LEDs already draw 800 ma.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.