Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you disassemble the stock head unit as shown in the picture below?

I want the silver pieces black, I'm wondering if it's even worth taking apart if there's no way to effectively paint those pieces.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just did this over the weekend. My radio is a bit different but there should be just four bolt holding it in behind the trim. Unplug from behind. There are four very small bolt/screws, two on each side of the unit you will need to take out (I left mine out in case I needed to paint again). Four clips, two on top two on the bottom. Now you have just the face and the circuit board. Mine had about six small bolt/screws holding it on. The screen cover just pushes out since it is held in by very light glue. Again, my radio is the older model so it might be different but I doubt it.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Here is my end result...

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

The flash made it look worse than it is IMO

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Exactly, I used a needle nose pliars. It's kind of a pain but you can get them out. The knobs will be the last thing holding the board on.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I only count seven.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yes, take a pic so you remember how they go back in.

Scuff the surface a bit with high grit wet sand paper prior to spraying. Next, you will need to find a black HVAC which is not easy. I just happened to stumble upon someone that wanted to go all silver interior while I was going all black.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

I'm so happy my car did not come with that much tan. If it did I would have invested in Krylon stock!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Blackbalts

I'm only doing the stereo unit, I'm leaving the air unit for the time being.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yeah, I spent 6 months trying to find one. When you say overlay do you mean a sticker or just the face plate from a black one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.