Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How easy does vinyl come off of painted surfaces? I haven't put it on yet but I was going to try something and just want to know before I try and don't like it. I only ask because a company messed up my buddy's clear coat when he had his hood wrapped.

·
Registered
103 Posts
how much vinyl
if it's on for a short period it's not too bad depends on the type of vinyl anyting reflective is brittle comes off in little pieces but i don't think you're using that anyways
i usually use just a 3 to 5 year vinyl comes off pretty good with a heatgun or a blow dryer don't have to heat too much then any glue left i use varsol or mineral spirits same thing pretty much different name or you can use a glue remover
remember that the longer it stays on the car the paint not covered in vinyl fades in time where the parts covered with vinyl are protected from the sun it will leave a shadow in the paint where the vinyl was and you may have to buff the panel that the vinyl was on so make sure you like it within a short time span i use a gold 3m squeegie with the soft part of velcro that has double face tape to adhere to the squeegie. sorry i'm rambling here ...lol and what happened to his clear coat?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
ive taken some pretty big ones off and it takes a while sometimes but it should be fine

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much vinyl
if it's on for a short period it's not too bad depends on the type of vinyl anyting reflective is brittle comes off in little pieces but i don't think you're using that anyways
i usually use just a 3 to 5 year vinyl comes off pretty good with a heatgun or a blow dryer don't have to heat too much then any glue left i use varsol or mineral spirits same thing pretty much different name or you can use a glue remover
remember that the longer it stays on the car the paint not covered in vinyl fades in time where the parts covered with vinyl are protected from the sun it will leave a shadow in the paint where the vinyl was and you may have to buff the panel that the vinyl was on so make sure you like it within a short time span i use a gold 3m squeegie with the soft part of velcro that has double face tape to adhere to the squeegie. sorry i'm rambling here ...lol and what happened to his clear coat?
The guy ****ed up and tried to lift the wrap off and took the clear with it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The guy ****ed up and tried to lift the wrap off and took the clear with it.
i think it's better to take it off slow better to be safe then sorry i been doing signs for over 22 years and the only time i seen that happen is when the customer had the vehicle painted and the body shop they had it done at didn't prep the body right before paint my boss at the time pulled off some viynl and the paint came off all the way to the primer not good it may be that who ever did the wrap did some cutting on his vehicle either for triming the wrap or popping any airbubbles but they may have cut too deep and into the clear coat and when they took it off it lifted where they cut

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.