Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so if you haven't seen my intro thread I have a 2.2 stage 2 ported supercharger, dual pass endplate blah blah blah.

It whines... and I don't mean the supercharger whine it's like this high pitched squeal. I searched youtube and it's hit or miss if the other cars are doing it. Some do it, some dont. Now because its youtube I have no idea what exactly they've done to there cars so I don't know if they are running the same set up as mine.

I'm trying to find the vid of the cars that do it. until then... whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
610 Posts
have you checked all your clamps, hoses, etc? and does everything seem to be running fine?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It needs to be retuned. It's only got the initial tune. It did have a gasket leak on the supercharger but we fixed that. The valve cover seal seems to be fine. If we pour gas onto the intake gasket it's not sucking it in so it should be fine. We RTV'd where one of the sensors bolts in and it hasn't fixed it. The pulleys seem to be ok. The car runs. The A/F are way off but that's from the tune. The guy was waiting on us to report back with what the gasket fixed so now we have to wait till about sunday to get a new tune.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trifecta

and yes the whistle when its at idle or not under load.

·
Registered
610 Posts
well since every thing is running fine it seems unlikely that a retune is all you need. i mean that could be it but TO ME it just doesnt seem like a tune can change the way your sc sounds. you also said your sc was ported so it cant be something internally. idk im stumped.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeea I don't see it being the tune either but you never know. After doing some research it *could* be the alternator. It's coming from the right area and would kinda make sense. It's prolly going HOLY **** with the power increase.

My research brought me to an accord forum where someone had problems with there SC squealing they took it to a mechanic and it was there alternator on the way out. You go to other sites though and people are TRYING to make them whistle at idle :lol: Soooo I dunno. We may take the alternator to get tested or just wait and see if it goes. I really should try and upgrade to a 2.0 alternator anyways so I can get the 6spline pulley.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think right now for the 2.2 Trifecta is the only safe way to go. HP doesn't work for the 2.2 without some serious modification and the canned tunes... well... google them and let the reviews speak for themselves ya know? Apparently Trifecta has been known to have out of wack a/f but he's not done this one yet so we'll see. My husband has a friend who SCT tunes and were keeping daily updates with him on whats going on with my car so he can give us some insight on everything to.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You're running the alternator off the 2.2? I think that's supposed to be upgraded as well when you do the LSJ setup. I don't know for sure, but I've read on CSS.net at least one or two threads that they recommend doing that when doing the M62.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the only reason your supposed to upgrade the alternator is for the 6spline belt... but maybe not lol. We'll see if it blows. It's one of those "I really don't want to put the money into it buuuutttttt it would be nice if it fixed the whistle" lol

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
Honestly I would try either A cleaning your throttle body, or B its the silencer holes for the supercharger, another member had this happening to them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmm... the noise doesn't seem like it's coming from the throttle body end. Seems more like it's at the snout or pulleys.

·
Registered
802 Posts
good chance is that since the car is not under a load pressure is being built up in the system and being released since the super charger's dont have a sufficient pressure release valve/ blow off valve

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's doing it no matter what. Under load or no load. It doesn't change either. We're going to put the 2.8 pulley on it to see if it changes the pitch. If it does then we're going to go with the supercharger's porting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.