Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LS Sedan with 155K miles.

After 2 trouble free hours of driving to buy a 4x7 utility trailer, about 5 minutes from home I started getting weird behavior:
  • Tach shooting up to ~5k RPM, seemingly by itself (cruise control is off). Almost like it's slipping, but it's also revving more than accelerator pedal position would suggest.
  • Shift selector interlock clicking while driving.
  • When the turn signal is turned on, it plays the door chime instead of the blinker sound.
  • Message trying to flash on the DIC, but not for long enough for me to actually read.
I wouldn't be surprised if the transmission is tired and doesn't want to tolerate my towing with it, but this isn't the behavior I'd expect.
CarFax indicates that the transmission fluid was changed at 48K miles.

I'm going to take it for a drive and see if the behavior continues, and will report back. Not sure if anyone's experienced something like this.

Edit: I have Tech2Win, if anyone has some handy troubleshooting steps to try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Leaning hard towards it being the TCM. I took a 5 mile drive back from my friends house, but the odometer went up 66 miles. Still displaying all of the above symptoms, though I didn't see it try to flash a message. It's really bizarre...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Adding to this. I unplugged and replugged the TCM, and added a supplementary ground. Same issue after 10 minutes of driving.

I'm going to get a can of compressed air, and shoot it upside down at the TCM the next time it does it. If the problem goes away, there's my answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts