Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Temperature should have nothing to do with your power. I race in the middle of August and the car is bouncing between 190-220 constantly with no real issues.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Combustion is greater with cooler air coming into the vehicle, so technically there is a difference. But it isn't about the temp of the engine or the coolant, just the air coming in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I find that mine is sluggish during the Summer. Like noticeably sluggish where I look to make sure it's still running sometimes.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
There is nothing you can do about that. Your engine will run sluggish the hotter it gets. The colder it is, the more power you have, but that is Air Temp, not Coolant Temp. The cooler it is outside the more power your car will have, but your coolant temp will be the same.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
^^Yes you could go that route!

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Meth isn't a bad idea, has has similar gains to e85, and does cool air temps down, and makes the a/f mixture more dense for more power.

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
it can be worth it to squeeze out those few extra ponies you can get from timing advancements. As far as tuning tho, no, Meth is only activated by a certain boost level (which you don't have) or TPS %. So you can have it set to start spraying once you hit 85% TPS range and when you're lower than that it doesn't spray at all.0

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmmm I'll have to look that up can an meth injection kit for an ss work with NA cars?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

Any one know if a kit for an ss would work with my car. Some one on .net was saying use nitrous instead but I don't wanna spend that kind of

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Much more dangerous. I'm not sure if the SS kits work specifically on the NA's, but it would be your best bet. From what you are saying you are just looking to cool the engine down to maintain your normal power, correct? If so then meth is your best and safest option. Nitrous Oxcide will give you a good kick in the pants for all of four seconds and run you a couple hundred every couple months you run it. Meth will cost you almost nothing to maintain since you dont use it unless at WOT.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya then I'll price out some meth kits and see what I can find. If I do install one I'll see if I can do some dyno runs and see if it makes any difference in hp. It dose get really hot here (last summer it got up to almost 100 f) so we'll see

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Yes, meth is going to be the safest and most relaible way to cool the combustion chamber.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

And that ZZP kit will not work for the NA. I'll do some searching and see if I can find one for our cars.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

I feel like this is the same thing as that ZZP one. It says it will work with NA and it is controlled by the MAF so measured through your intake temp and injected into the TB when necessary.

Snow Performance Methanol Injection Kits UNIVERSAL Kits for GAS Applications - Snow Stage Two Water/Methanol Injection Kit -UNIVERSAL GAS (All Fuel Injected w/ MAF) MAF Controlled

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.