Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'm new here so play nice haha
I bought a 07 cobalt used (LT COUPE, automatic)

it's a surprisingly nice car, especially since everyone I knew was talking crap about cobalts.
It was 3 grand, and I'm a student who was growing tired of the bus rides to college. so I snagged it.
it has around 120,000 km on it. not too shabby in my opinion.

only problem.
gas mileage.
oh god the gas mileage. My dads SUV is more efficient than my little car.
That's kinda weird. I only drive to my college, and back home which is around a 10 minute drive tops. I don't slam the accelerator either.

What's up? I notice I'm already at half a tank and I just refilled it 2 days ago :/

Anyone here have advice?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oil change overdue? Air filter dirty? Spark plugs need change? Spark Plug wires need change? Improper tire inflation? Heavy load? Traffic? maybe a faulty o2 sensor?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Mine also gets terrible mileage. I only have 56000 miles. I dunno what to do other than take it to the stealership:(

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Any codes or lack of power?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Any car is going to be hard on fuel in stop and go traffic. Fuel efficiency is measured on highway. And no spark plug wires on a Cobalt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Any car is going to be hard on fuel in stop and go traffic. Fuel efficiency is measured on highway. And no spark plug wires on a Cobalt.
agreed, take it out on a highway for a little bit. thatll tell you what your gas mileage is looking like

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Coby is there a set interval to change the coils? I have 46k on my Balt. I'm sure the plugs were never changed, and or coils!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Those coils should "techinically" last the life of the car.

Granted, it's electronic...anything can fail.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Plugs according to my dealer get replaced as they go bad aswell. I replaced mine with 116000km because the ends were so worn

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys, I'll take it for a rip on the highway and record how it goes.
BUT on the dash it does show 8.1 L to 100KM which is around 30mpg is it not? I have little knowledge of these things, and I'm not sure if this statistic is Live (varies on conditions and driving) or just a piece of static data put there by Chevy.
My car isn't running like it's on 8.1 L to 100km I can tell you that

I bet it doesn't help that it's almost winter time eh? ;)
I just find it odd that my dads SUV gets around better than me, but I can't really complain now can I. only 3 grand :p
I'll figure this out.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I get on average 6-6.5L/100km on the highway and about 7.5-7.8L/100km city. So something still isnt right unless you're all stop and go

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Someone needs to get a scanner and hook it up and see what the fuel trims are.

Mees tinks somethang is outta whackz

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
yea if o2's are getting lazy then you'll burn substantially more fuel. They need to be off quite a bit for the light to come on. Did the ones in my stang even though no light was on and I went up almost 100km to a tank. (mind you I was so rich it was spitting raw fuel out the exhaust pipe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
30 mpg sounds about right on the highway. But tons of things could cause bad economy, including the gas you put in. Any codes, abnormal starting or idle problems or anything else to help us out?
No, none so far.
But the large majority of driving I do involves "city" driving...if you consider a small northern town a city. So a little stop and go.
Still, not "great" gas mileage for what the dealer told me.

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
Like I said, 30mpg sounds right. Even highway. You gotta remember, the dealer is gonna tell you what mpg it gets from the factory. You could have worn piston rings, valve seats, a semi bad thermostat... the list goes on and on. If you have a serious problem, you wouldn't get 30mpg's. Most likely would throw knock, or map codes if there was a major issue. If you seriously think you have an issue we need long and short term fuel trims like mentioned above to help you.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Does the car ever get up to temp? Or is it always in closed loop?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.