Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lmfao ok so ending today I've worked at this dealers auction in a town close by to me and had the privilege of actually driving a 2009 SS.

Now I've driven one before, on a test drive, but couldn't really get a feel for it because the salesman was being a dick since I'm young, but whatever.

I made up for it today :p

https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=613646978664166

Was happier driving this then the Ford F350, Mustang GT, and all of the Buicks and BMW's combined, not because It's a better car, but because I've been dying to rip it across the parking lot :p

Edit: and here's some other pics from my job :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.613641268664737.1073741825.100000566075142&type=1&l=ffaf96fd1a

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
It's a completely different car isn't it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a completely different car isn't it?
It just has soo much more feel to it, and a lot more low end punch, it's beautiful :)

I can't wait to do my suspension and everything, if I can get it to handle like that I wouldn't leave my car. I'm only keeping my Auto LT until I move out in a couple years so I'm setting some cash aside so I can trade up to a 2010 SS and switch over my upgrades to make the most out of them :)

The full time job I start on Thursday is assembling Police Dodge Chargers and other Police/Security cars so I'm pretty pumped for that to :p

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
It just has soo much more feel to it, and a lot more low end punch, it's beautiful :)

I can't wait to do my suspension and everything, if I can get it to handle like that I wouldn't leave my car. I'm only keeping my Auto LT until I move out in a couple years so I'm setting some cash aside so I can trade up to a 2010 SS and switch over my upgrades to make the most out of them :)

The full time job I start on Thursday is assembling Police Dodge Chargers and other Police/Security cars so I'm pretty pumped for that to :p
What upgrades are you going to be switching?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What upgrades are you going to be switching?
My speakers, future amp, future sub, future head unit, future painted interior, short antenna, possibly future FE5 struts and shocks depending on condition of the two and if I decide to only switch them after the SS ones need replacement, future lowering springs, my new battery, future weather tech digi fit mats...

.. and yea thats all I can think of right now :p I figure if I'm going to do this sooner than I thought I may avoid performance upgrades I cant take with me, but I might get something to enjoy if I get the urge but I'd want to dyno tune my car if I got a CAI and stage 2 exhaust so maybe :p

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
I would save the performance upgrade money for the SS. Just my opinion, and I'd also go with the 09 SS.. The RPD's don't really like to work to accurately after being tuned. Just my $.02

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would save the performance upgrade money for the SS. Just my opinion, and I'd also go with the 09 SS.. The RPD's don't really like to work to accurately after being tuned. Just my $.02
Ahaha that is why I feel like that would be a better idea, honestly I'll probably just end up painting the latter half of my exhaust black with a high thermal paint and leave it at that.

Would tail/head lights switch between a coupe 09 lt and ss?

Ok cool I'll definitely look into them when I trade up, but just curious, what does RPD stand for?

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yes, the healights would be a direct swap. And the tails would be a swap too if it was from 2dr to 2dr, or 4dr to 4dr (as they did make 4dr ss turbos :) )

RPD stands for Remote Performance Display. All 2010 SS's came with them. It is the 4in LCD square gauge that gives a lot of information regarding your performance of the SS. They are a great design and work great, until you tune your car. Then they start getting errors. A little tweaking from GM on them and they would be SUPERB! If your car has one, don't try to swap it to a regular round gauge, or the other way around. The entire dash wiring harness (which is $485 btw) is completely different from the ones that have the RPD and the ones that don't.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the healights would be a direct swap. And the tails would be a swap too if it was from 2dr to 2dr, or 4dr to 4dr (as they did make 4dr ss turbos :) )

RPD stands for Remote Performance Display. All 2010 SS's came with them. It is the 4in LCD square gauge that gives a lot of information regarding your performance of the SS. They are a great design and work great, until you tune your car. Then they start getting errors. A little tweaking from GM on them and they would be SUPERB! If your car has one, don't try to swap it to a regular round gauge, or the other way around. The entire dash wiring harness (which is $485 btw) is completely different from the ones that have the RPD and the ones that don't.
Ohh that's dope! Well I'll still look into both years and take that into account, at that point I'm more interested in finding the best condition/lowest km white SS I can find :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
gotcha, that's understandable. the 09 will probably have more Km's, but will be cheaper. So I guess it's a toss up on what is more imporatant to you. Km's or Price.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gotcha, that's understandable. the 09 will probably have more Km's, but will be cheaper. So I guess it's a toss up on what is more imporatant to you. Km's or Price.
Well to be honest I really love this car, and it's easier for me to say that now because I've pretty well driven every car, old to brand new, that I can think of and isn't over 100k so no lambos or bentelys :p

I just feel like it's something I can see my self driving for a fairly long time until I can afford to step up to fully loaded Charger or STi status or Corvette/Viper/etc, mainly because I think I want my next car to be brand new, maybe :p

I just like how much you can customize this car thanks to the surprisingly cheap, flat, bland looking plastic interior. You can really make it your own :)

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
Yeah, I've driven all kinds of cars (to include bently's, lotus, lambo, ferarri, porche ect). Honestly, the only other car I will buy besides my Evo and my SS (which I will be getting another SS), is a Lotus Esprit. Those cars are pure sex. lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I've driven all kinds of cars (to include bently's, lotus, lambo, ferarri, porche ect). Honestly, the only other car I will buy besides my Evo and my SS (which I will be getting another SS), is a Lotus Esprit. Those cars are pure sex. lol
Ahaha aww I don't know how I could have forgotten the Evo, that car is incredible and it would be a tough choice for me between that and the STi because I really like them both and would just wanna put on a rally kit and go crazy :p

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Brings me back, I was looking at balts but decided to get an LS at the time because I did not want a big payment. A year later I went back and test drove an SS/SC(6 months before the TC was out) and I was like "holy shi#" this thing is amazing. Drove it home that night.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Brings me back, I was looking at balts but decided to get an LS at the time because I did not want a big payment. A year later I went back and test drove an SS/SC(6 months before the TC was out) and I was like "holy shi#" this thing is amazing. Drove it home that night.
Lmfao I know :p

It was pretty jokes because the way my job worked was first come, first serve. You take the next car no exceptions, but I lost out on driving a fully restored 88' vette and a 2012 fully loaded Mustang GT so I was pissed and was like "Yo! There's a Cobalt SS a few cars down, right? That shits mine I'm calling it right now, you guys can't **** with me like this!"

So what happened when I came back? A sexy 09 black ss sits awaiting my arrival with all the line leaders waiting to see my reaction. I was literally jumping around kinda running up to the car 'cause I was so happy and thought I was gonna be stuck with some shit minivan aha I can only do that cause I still look like I'm 16 even though I'm 19, which in my opinion is still an ok age to jump around when your excited :)

Also, maybe because I'm use to the feel of Cobalts, but that was the easiest standard car I've ever driven, and I can honestly say that there were a number of standard cars I just couldn't get going because I didn't have the practice to drive it perfectly each time. It's difficult learning standard when people are walking in front of you every 4 seconds and your weak point is starting from a stop :p

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
When you say ss I assume you're talking about a ss/tc?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
When you say ss I assume you're talking about a ss/tc?
ahaha Yes I am :p I'm assuming the opposing ss you may be thinking of would be the NA?

It's funny because there was an NA a few cars down from the SS/TC I was in, I almost thought it was fake because I didn't even know they made that automatic :p

Still though I gotta say driving a 6.4L Diesel Twin Turbocharged V8 in a F350 kind of blows the cobalt out of the water in latent power, I mean I could barely touch the gas without scaring the little cars around me, which were all of them because that truck was about twice the size of everything there :p

Ohh and there's a video of me driving in it, well in that video idling, on the OP and you can see the boost gauge and higher top speed :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.