Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '06 LS coupe, I sometimes get a code saying multiple cylinder misfires, it always comes after I start it and start out. The engine chugs a little. And sometimes even when a code isn't thrown, the idle surges from 500rpm to 1200rpm.

Mods are GM cold air intake, Tsudo cat-back exhaust, E3 spark plugs(worst plugs on the planet:notrust:)

Any hints or help would be fantastic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd say start with the plugs too.......

I have a co-working with a Fit who tried the E3 plugs for better mileage and he started having the same problem. He switched back to the stock plugs and all was fine........

·
Registered
317 Posts
about your plugs, i have heard the exact opposite about them, i have seen that they make more power and get better milage and cleaner emissions, why do you think that they are the worst plugs ever?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
about your plugs, i have heard the exact opposite about them, i have seen that they make more power and get better milage and cleaner emissions, why do you think that they are the worst plugs ever?
ive heard great things about them on other cars. but lightly modded ls's dont seem to like non stock plugs. dont remember exactly why. but have heard it a lot. i tried the NGK's and went back to the delcos. mostly because it seems to start easier with the stock ones.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because for $9.00 per plug, I expected results, but all I got was no increase in MPG, performance, and thrown engine codes. The plugs were the last of the mods I did, before that, it ran perfectly fine.

I guess I'll go back to the AC Delcos. See if that'll fix the problems.

·
Registered
142 Posts
check MAF sensor. I had the similar code and it was a dirty MAF Sensor. Let us know if the plugs fixed it or cleaning the MAF Sensor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
GM should stick with AC Delco. They designed with them in mind so you can't go wrong with them and more than likely NEED them. Lots of cars throw codes and run like crap if the recommended spark plugs aren't used....different materials confuse the computer that only recognizes the certain brand spark plug.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up the new AC Delcos, I didn't know that they were iridium plugs! Sweet!!!

I'll install them tomorrow.
Right now, I'm driving my 302 Ford Ranger. Finally got the stupid thing done!

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow...y u running those plugs...u said it yourself...worst plugs ever...go get some regular plugs

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not a Cobalt but I nearly drove myself nuts fighting "check engine light" on 4.6 l Mercury Grand Marquis for over two years only to find it was a dirty MAF sensor...Codes had me chasing 02 sensors, etc, etc and it was MAF all the time...
$100.00 for new MAF and ALL problems went bye bye..
Cleaning MAF is only a temp fix in my opinion...They are oh so touchy...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the AC Delcos installed, and it fixed everything. No more codes(so far), no more loopy idle, and it starts a little bit better also.

Anyone know the gap settings on these plugs, BTW?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.