Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. so I've had my base cobalt for a little over a year now and all i've done to it is add a K&N sra, and some stickers (badass I know...) and i"ve been wanting to build it since the beginning. I"ve just moved to texas, been here about a month now and received a "welcome to texas gift" from a friend I met. its a t3/t4 turbo...he's owned a 600hp eclipse which threw a piston through the bottom of the block which ended its life after throwing a 150 shot of Nitrous into it. (he blew the welds on the intake!!!) and now is building a PT Cruiser and wants 6-700hp out of it, so that'll be another project along with what I want.

so with the story over, the turbo really is the beginning to the build I've been wanting to do to my balt. it is rated for 4-450hp roughly, and needs to be rebuilt (been sitting for a year and has minimal shaft play) but I've been wondering about other parts that I looked into. i want 6-700 for my balt also and was questioning some parts. I know i'd have to upgrade the turbo eventually (looking at a precision 6266), but we'll get to that. this is the parts list that I've looked up
----------------------------------------------------
Cloyes balance shaft chain
Dea Engine Mount
WiseCo K583m865 piston/ring kit
Eagle rods
Supertech 94lb valve springs
Steel head gasket
turbotech t3 exhaust manifold
Pacesetter header
Pacesetter Manza exhaust
Spec stage3 clutch kit
TurboTech Trans mounts
50mm BOV
AMS Boost Controller
46mm External WasteGate
Big Fmic
TurboTech Stage 2 Comp Cams
-----------------------------------------------------
I'd also need a forged crankshaft, and retainers and have to rebuild the trans to withstand that much power.
My questions here are...
1. Would the block, given these parts are installed, be able to withstand that much power?
2. if not, I'd have to look into an LNF block to build?
3. What else am I missing?
4. I know that this Isn't going to be an overnight project
5. would the Fe5 suspension be good enough (adding bc coilovers) to withstand it?
6. What would be a good company to get it tuned? (texas area)

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
....side note- I have people around me that would be able to help, just looking for input from the cobalt community.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would look into the cometic head gasket instead.

Look into the zzp solid motor mount, and the ottp roated mounts instead.

Not sure how the sleeves would hold up, but the piston and rod set up looks good.

And the fe5 suspension is amazing. Should hold the power nicely. And look into a progress rear sway bar, lnf front sway bar, moog bushings, moog end links as well.

I haven't done a turbo build, so I cant be 100% on what it can really hold, but from the research ive done in the past, everything looks good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would assume that the fe5 suspension would be able to hold up, but being that thats a crap ton of ponies going to the wheels, I'm not 100% sure.

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Yeah, FE5 shocks/struts (2008-2010) will be more than sufficient. You can go the Koni Yellow route if you'd like the ability to adjust your dampening rates, but the stock setup is so good that it's not really necessary (FE5s were built and tested on the Nurburing, where the SS/TC held the lap record for a FWD production car for awhile) Pair those shocks up with some good springs and you'll be set. Powell's YYZs are supposed to be the best handling spring out there.

I haven't heard much good about Pacesetter. Look into ZZP for a header/turboback, their stuff is bar none. You'd probably need some ARP headstuds to hold everything together. Balance shafts could be deleted too, it should free up a little power by reducing rotational mass.

As for tuning, you have two choices; HPTuners or Trifecta. If you've got an '05-'06, then Trifecta is your only bet. It's more or less agreed that HPT offers a better product with a higher degree of user customibility.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I'd definitely run a ZZP manifold (pacesetter header would not be compatible with a turbo - you need a turbo manifold), as well as a 3" ZZP downpipe and cat-back.

For a rear sway bar: Powell Street/Hardcore should do you good. The XXX is the biggest, but likely a bit much for street driving.

You're probably going to need beefier half-shafts as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.