Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if I were to chop off the not-so-stylish exhaust tip and replace it with a 3", rolled edge, polished one?

Let's find out:

The old tip

4" of rusted crap (it is stainless, but not the high quality stainless, hence why it rusts this bad)

The new tip

$23 at Summit Racing, I believe.

Take it to work and a couple of zaps with the stainless wirefeed..........

and presto!

A little spatter, but I haven't wire wheeled it yet. I'll install it first thing in the morning.

FYI, while this portion of the exhaust is removed, have a little fun and bomb around without it :laugh: . When it's just straight cat, it sounds pretty cool(pretty loud and obnoxiuos, but cool).

I was laughing for 10 minutes when I was driving..............What a blast!

·
Yay go me
2,154 Posts
looks great. im not looking forward to mine rusting:-/. how long did it take to rust?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks great. im not looking forward to mine rusting:-/. how long did it take to rust?
This was 3 years, but it's also my fault. I live in the rust belt and didn't maintain the tip as far as polishing and buffing went. It's what 400 series stainless does, it's still stainless but it still rusts.

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

On a side note, upgrading to this tip also openned up the exhaust hole in the muffler by 1/8". Not a lot at all, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is awesome, i would love to do this to mine! bc i dont use the silencer and the big flat 4 inch tip does look silly, and the rolled slightly smaller tip would look like sex. Also for the tip being smaller and not lining up, i think it would be a benifit bc you could run the smaller hangers and have a nice tucked in look, i feel like my longer hangers let the muffler too low and the tip is too big for the short ones.

Cant wait to see it installed!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wish I had access to a welder. I must do this also. the 4" flat tip looks silly to me.
Ask around. I'm sure you must have at least ONE friend who has a welder(or at least one with stainless wire). If not, see what a shop would charge. I mean, if you cut it and got it all ready for the new tip, it shouldn't be that much just to weld it on.

Cutting off the tip was super easy. I cut just below the weld, sanded the edge until the last little bit of the old tip was free, got a little hook inside and pulled out the rest of it(the tip was actually set inside the muffler about an inch).

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks good. but if you want loud go straigt off the cat into a cherrybomb glass pack. thats loud:bigsmile:

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
That looks great

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wow that looks great friend. Great craftsmanship.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Woah........got lots of good feedback!! I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. It is not a Magnaflow tip, its a Summit Racing tip. Magnaflow would've been a better buy, but I'm not about to spend that kind of money on a tip alone.

2. The muffler is part of the Tsudo cat-back exhaust system. Really a nice buy for the cobalts

3. Sound clips? Well I'll try, but I think it sounds the same as last time before I put on the new tip.

4. Cherry bomb would be loud, but obnoxious. We have enough of those around here........ :)

Like I said, this was really easy. If shipping wasn't so high, I'd do a couple of your guy's too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.