Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious why the decided to change to turbocharge instead of keeping the supercharger with alot less horsepower and defenitely not as sleek and smooth as the 08s and earlier???
-----Added 25 Mar 2009 at 08:55:27-----
sorry i meant to say 07s and earlier lol. my mistake.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
The turbo model comes with 55 more HP stock than the ss/sc

A turbo is more efficient than a supercharger. think of it this way.. On a turbo its simply the exhaust spinning a spool to give you boost. For a supercharger its part of the engine so to speak. For every 100 horsepower a supercharger gives you in horsepower its going to take 50 just to spin the supercharger (not exact specs of coarse)

·
Registered
618 Posts
turbos vs superchargers = turbos always like daman says its a lot more easier to inter-grade a turbo to a car vs sc plus the face of less space needed......

·
Registered
618 Posts
just go to your local chevy dealer and ask them whats up? they can suggest to you what to do...if you wanna do more RELIABLE power get a turbo way cheaper and efficent dont sweat the emissions just make sure you get the right size and have it done right or you'll regret it..... nothing is worst then an f'd up motor

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Its like Red07SSNA said , GM did away with the supercharger due to the emission laws. I think it was a great move since supercchargers take power to create power, most 4 cylinders dont have much power to begin with so there for it wasnt such a good design IMO. Turbochargers are able to handle the emissons and provide instant power when you get past a certain RPM. This is why GM saw better gains with the TC over the SC plus the other great designs and upgrades they made to the car such as the no lift feature and such. Superchargers should be left to the larger V-6's and V-8's since they produce enough power to run a supercharger. Dont get me wrong, I love the supercharged cobalts just as much as the turbocharged ones. Especially the way they sound like a little r.c. car with their whine.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but your all wrong. lol

Eaton's contract with GM was expiring at the time (the LS9 will be the last GM SCed engine) and Audi was picking up a contract from Eaton and paying more quite frankly. This drove up the market price so GM decided to go another way. The turbos are cheaper then the SC was which is how the TC is nearly the same price as an SC. It was purely a business decision.

The emissions thing was a giant load of flaming dog crap rumor that was spread to save some face on GMs part. Without a new batch of M62s from Eaton they had to find another way to make a hot Cobalt and with plenty of LNFs laying around it's the logical inexpensive choice.

If you don't believe me about emissions look at the emissions data of the LSJ vs any of the V8s GM is producing. It was not an emissions situation.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

Eaton's contract with GM was expiring at the time (the LS9 will be the last GM SCed engine) and Audi was picking up a contract from Eaton and paying more quite frankly. This drove up the market price so GM decided to go another way. The turbos are cheaper then the SC was which is how the TC is nearly the same price as an SC. It was purely a business decision.

The emissions thing was a giant load of flaming dog crap rumor that was spread to save some face on GMs part. Without a new batch of M62s from Eaton they had to find another way to make a hot Cobalt and with plenty of LNFs laying around it's the logical inexpensive choice.

If you don't believe me about emissions look at the emissions data of the LSJ vs any of the V8s GM is producing. It was not an emissions situation.
Oh really, I didn't know that.. I can see how it would be true though.. I hate how all the piping on the new TC is just plastic. cheepo!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

The "giant load of flaming dog crap rumor that was spread to save some face on GMs part" wasn't just a rumor -- it was put out in a report by GM. Whether it was the eaton contract or not the turbo is putting out more HP. Seriously though, if it was all about money and the Eaton SC costing more; I doubt the turbo's engineering, designing, production, and testing cost was less than new contracted Eaton SCs would have cost.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The "giant load of flaming dog crap rumor that was spread to save some face on GMs part" wasn't just a rumor -- it was put out in a report by GM. Whether it was the eaton contract or not the turbo is putting out more HP. Seriously though, if it was all about money and the Eaton SC costing more; I doubt the turbo's engineering, designing, production, and testing cost was less than new contracted Eaton SCs would have cost.
All the R and D was done before the contract even ran out. Remember the LNF was around before they put in the Cobalt and a version was available in Europe several years before it was here.

You can believe the emissions statement all you want but it's just not true. What major emissions legislation was passed in the lifespan of the Cobalt that would have made the LSJ not pass? None

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.