Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'll be paying off my 2010 Cobalt LT Four-Door soon and was thinking of trading it in for a Volt.

Any Thoughts? Any actual Volt owners on here?

If so, what is your actually MPG, and what is your driving style?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I don't own one but I've been told batteries are extremely expensive and the extra cost of the electric car usually kills any real savings you'll get by not buying gas.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
One of my friends has one, it's a very nice vehicle. He says he fills it once every 2 months. He very rarely leaves the city, so for him it is an ideal means of transportation. He says it's a bit of a hassle to plug it in everytime you get home but he's gotten accustomed to it. He had to go get it in Montreal because local dealers wouldn't order them in because they would have to re-tool and send their techs back to school. Apparently it's a different branch of GM all together. I should ask Marc the head CEO for Canadian sales what the deal is, just to get it from his perspective.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't own one but I've been told batteries are extremely expensive and the extra cost of the electric car usually kills any real savings you'll get by not buying gas.
I know the cars haven't been out that long, but I would probably only have the car 5 years, so I'm not too worried about maintenance cost. Also I work in the environmental protection industry so it would improve my public/professional image.

Rriggs92 said:
Why not just keep it for a while? It's a 2010 and it will be paid off. Why get into another payment
I'm getting kinda bored with the Cobalt, and what's the point in making money besides having nice/new things?

Coby7 said:
One of my friends has one, it's a very nice vehicle. He says he fills it once every 2 months. He very rarely leaves the city, so for him it is an ideal means of transportation. He says it's a bit of a hassle to plug it in everytime you get home but he's gotten accustomed to it. He had to go get it in Montreal because local dealers wouldn't order them in because they would have to re-tool and send their techs back to school. Apparently it's a different branch of GM all together. I should ask Marc the head CEO for Canadian sales what the deal is, just to get it from his perspective.
Thanks Coby,
Getting one would not be a problem as I live in the Washington, D.C. area.

I commute 50 to 80 miles per day (round trip) depending if I go to my second job. my primary 50 mile commute is without expressways.
And to be honest, I like my Cobalt, but I am definitely not impressed with 26mpg my heavy foot averages.

Do you know how many more kwh your friend uses monthly as a result of charging the vehicle?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Do you know how many more kwh your friend uses monthly as a result of charging the vehicle?
He says 30 dollars a month, but knowing him you can probably double that.
So about 5 to 600Kwatts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He says 30 dollars a month, but knowing him you can probably double that.
So about 5 to 600Kwatts.
Even so, well less than what I'm spending on gas now.

Also i'm thinking about getting a whole home solar system installed, I'm just not sure how long I'm going to be in this house.

·
Registered
191 Posts
^^^^ You should be brought to the town square then be given 10 lashes.

The only bad things I've heard about the Volt is that if something breaks its expensive to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Get it. They're my fab electric car. I just wouldn't buy one because its not a v8

·
Registered
5,481 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Um, Probe. Sorry, not a fan of them! If you are happy, dont let me get you down.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Electric car has larger costs and carbon footprint than your fully equipped 2013+ LTZ LQwhatever Silverado with all the weight you can muster.

Seriously, not worth the money to buy any hybrid/electric vehicle even with the tax credits you get. I'd rather find a economical gas car and option the **** out of it. Like, a new Malibu, Regal, Cruze, etc.

Too add, Probe's are junk, lol.

But if you like it then more power to ya.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Volt is probably a very nice car and likely benefits the environment, future generations, our trade deficit, our military, the boys in Hamtramck......but it's very expensive.

How 'bout a new Cruze? :)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Horrible automatics on the probes too

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.