Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so was just playing midnight club and was wondering if slipstream is real ?? haha i know its a random question but i have always wondered if it was or not. at if it is how the hell does it work or how do you do it??? i know you would have to be going hell of fast if its true

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Lol, yes slipstreaming is real. The car in front pulls the car behind it blah blah, its called slipstream because the first car breaks the air pattern and the car behind it has less wind resistance, like drafting a semi, theyre the same thing. Only because the car is smaller it has to be going faster for it to work

·
Registered
931 Posts
I was playing that last night lol Yes slipstream and drifting behind a car is true to life. You can use the air current of the car in front of you to your benefit. It also has been studied that just being behind a truck while doing 60mph can actually save you a small percentage of gas. And I think it was on Mythbusters as well.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
'slipstream' or 'drafting' does exist but there are many more parameters to it then in the video game. For example, one parameter is that if you try to maneuver a car and get too close at high speeds, you will actually get sucked into the other car. Just an example of the way airflow works etc.

You can do this behind a large truck, and actually will save on gas slightly.

I also asked my TA about the effect on fluid properties if you lower your car, and it WILL have a positive effect, because it increases stability.

Just had a lab on this last week and we were talking about all this stuff lol. Fun as hell topic. But very complex.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Lol, yes slipstreaming is real. The car in front pulls the car behind it blah blah, its called slipstream because the first car breaks the air pattern and the car behind it has less wind resistance, like drafting a semi, theyre the same thing. Only because the car is smaller it has to be going faster for it to work
these parts are false but you got the main idea, which is that the first car breaks the flow pattern for the second car. This is only PART of the explanation, however.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so whats the whole "drafting" behind someone and then pulling out to the side and shifting do?? lol is that part fake? like in the fast and furious 2

and next time i go on my road trip im gonna follow behind a truck haha

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
so whats the whole "drafting" behind someone and then pulling out to the side and shifting do?? lol is that part fake? like in the fast and furious 2

and next time i go on my road trip im gonna follow behind a truck haha
well as soon as you move from behind the car, you lose that edge...in other words you're back in the air current and the resistance comes back. So you don't get to "pull to the side of the car" and be slingshot forward or anything like you're describing. Hard to explain without a whiteboard.

man, loving my engineering program more and more lol.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
yep, I remember watching Bill N. The Science Guy and he explained this because some asked why bicyclists that do them marathons dont have to pedal as fast as the guys infront of them. And as BBoyTaktix explained that was why, the air is broken up by the person ahead but if you move over to go by you than have to use as much and more gas/energy to get by them because you are back to fighting all the air you werent while behind that person. Its like being outside on a windy day and you stand behind something that breaks up the windy and than walk out from behind it and get blasted by it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.