Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

lol the third brake light is melting...??

i have NOT moddified the bulbs at all... im thinking its a combo of extream sunlight and too much nightshade??... idk

happen to neone else

thanks guys

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Wow, that's pretty ****ed up - I wouldn't say Niteshade caused that though...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your housing is getting to hot, I have seen this when guys use way to much VHT, the heat from the bulbs have no where to dissapate to. Just saw it the other week on an orange Grand Prix.
was my better guess... im not kicking myself for it or nething hell its only a third brakelight... i guess thats what i get for going so dark...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I actually have a really small spot on mine like this but its barely noticeable unless you look really close at an angle...

·
Registered
127 Posts
The use of LED bulbs or an LED strip in 3rd brake light will eliminate this problem - but not fix the damage done, sorry it happened - really sucks :worried: I am also going to be nightshading my tails and 3rd in the near future. I already have LED's in the tails with resistors (resistors stop the hyperflash)

912 is the standard filament bulb
LED replacement is...

921 Type with 12 LEDs, replaces 194/168/912 wedge base car bulbs
* Wide 75 degree beam pattern
* measures 1.20 inch long by 0.60 inch diameter
* Non-Polarized bulb

I ordered 3 of these at only $3.95 each - nothing special required (resistors, etc) from Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs

OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
I agree that the nightshade is causing it. The black absorbs more heat and regular bulbs get hot. LED's would solve your problem I bet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The use of LED bulbs or an LED strip in 3rd brake light will eliminate this problem - but not fix the damage done, sorry it happened - really sucks :worried: I am also going to be nightshading my tails and 3rd in the near future. I already have LED's in the tails with resistors (resistors stop the hyperflash)

912 is the standard filament bulb
LED replacement is...

921 Type with 12 LEDs, replaces 194/168/912 wedge base car bulbs
* Wide 75 degree beam pattern
* measures 1.20 inch long by 0.60 inch diameter
* Non-Polarized bulb

I ordered 3 of these at only $3.95 each - nothing special required (resistors, etc) from Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs

OSRAM SYLVANIA - Replacement Guide - Start

Which one of those leds will fit in the normal break lights and which ones would fit in the third break lights?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill agree with everyone... im sure its a combo of the nightshade trapping to heat.. the hot summer sun and the extended amount of brake light ussage from jersey shore traffic (lmao)

thanks everyone for the help...

ive unpluged it for now.. to provent a huge hole in my trunk... ill order a new one next paycheck..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its that jersey shore traffic im tellin u... everyone comin out here to see 8 retarted mtv fu*ks and everyone like me who lives here just tryin to get home lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was going to say there is no way it is sunlight/exterior heat. It has been 105+ for a month here and mine has not done this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.