Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been working on painting my interior trim, detrimming, and painting my bowties black for the last couple days now and i finally got everything done. i messed up a couple times so i had to redo some of the pieces haha fail! but here's some pics. my car is PRETTY dirty haha shame on me, but lmk what you guys think. oh and sorry about the quality of the pics, its from my bb and the color looks brighter because of the flash. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Very nice I like

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! the color actually matches the color of the car. my blackberry camera just sucks.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! the paint looks kinda rough though on the interior trim.
yeah it does. how can i fix that? a couple more clear coats?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good color match bro! and i really like the steering wheel trim also!
what did you use to sand the trim? idk if clear coat is going to help cant really tell how rough it is in the pic.
i did the steering wheel first and it came out smooth without sanding it so i didnt sand the rest, but now im regretting it. i guess i'm going to have to go back and do it over. ahh newbie FTL!

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
its actually harder than most people think to do it right. i used triple ought steel wool to take the stock paint off my trim, cleaned, then painted and c.c. it worked really well. not sure if that would work with the new paint though.
i would def. give the new stuff some good time to fully dry before trying to take it off. will make it easier. good luck man!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its actually harder than most people think to do it right. i used triple ought steel wool to take the stock paint off my trim, cleaned, then painted and c.c. it worked really well. not sure if that would work with the new paint though.
i would def. give the new stuff some good time to fully dry before trying to take it off. will make it easier. good luck man!
:cry: i'll probably sand it down later today and try again since i finished like 3 days ago. to sand the steering wheel trim i used extra fine 3m sandsponge. that actually came out really well. how did you clean it? just soap and water and then paint?

·
Registered
328 Posts
kinda looks as though you didnt apply the clear heavy enough... like you just kinda dry sprayed it... id try wet sanding it light with like 1500 or so then spray like 2 more coats of clear... you want it wet but not wet enough to run! so becareful...if possible use a clear with a fan spray that will help ALOT... the round spray pattern is uneven and easy to run..let me know how you make out

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
kinda looks as though you didnt apply the clear heavy enough... like you just kinda dry sprayed it... id try wet sanding it light with like 1500 or so then spray like 2 more coats of clear... you want it wet but not wet enough to run! so becareful...if possible use a clear with a fan spray that will help ALOT... the round spray pattern is uneven and easy to run..let me know how you make out
this time around its looking a lot smoother and more glossy. the only thing thats bugging me now is the tiny tiny bubbles that are randomly scattered. do i just wait for it to dry, sand it, and then put another coat of clear over it?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here's some pics of round 2 :bigsmile:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Looks better, but still looks like you're getting the "orange peal" effect. Get some 1000 grit sand paper and sand it down until its smooth and if need be, add another coat or 2 of blue. Then add another 2-4 coats of clear. and sand down smooth between clear coats if needed.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll probably do it again later this summer. I mean its better than it was so I'm conent. I'm just tired of painting lol.

·
Registered
186 Posts
do you take the pannels off to paint or how did u do that ?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
do you take the pannels off to paint or how did u do that ?
Yeah you just pull them off. Auto zone has the duplicolor victory red that is a perfect match for your balt! LMK when you have some time, I'll help you out with it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
next time around im thinking of making it a whole different color and have that color flow through the rest of the car. i was thinking maybe a light green maybe. any ideas?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.